Can an Experienced Electrician Become an EET in Just 3 Years?

In summary, the Electrician has been working for 14 years and is now considering taking a 3-year course to get his Electrical engineering technology diploma. This will permit him to eventually register as a C.E.T. and pursue a career in electrical engineering. The decision is up to the Electrician, but he is advised to make the attempt to pursue the EET.
Byron Edwards
I am an Electrician of 14 years, now in a management position with great experience. I am looking at taking a part time study 3 year course through S.A.I.T that will allow me to get my Electrical engineering technology Diploma in 3 years all while working full-time in the city. This will permit me to eventually register as a C.E.T followed by P. Tech. and a P.L.(Eng) with APEGA.

Is this move realistic to open doors for me or is this a pipe dream? Has anyone else made this move?

Any input is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Byron Edwards said:
This will permit me to eventually register as a C.E.T followed by P. Tech. and a P.L.(Eng) with APEGA.
I understand the C.E.T. but what are the other credentials? Canadian?
If they are similar to the requirements for Engineering licensure in the US, an EET program can allow you to pursue a P.E. after 8 years of experience (vs four with an EE degree). However, I don't want to speculate as I am inferring this only from your above post and comparing to the US system.

These are in fact Canadian credentials. I don't suppose these are Canadian threads are they? The P. Tech is Professional Technologist following C.E.T. The P.L.Eng (Professional Licensed Engineer) allows a technologist to register as an engineer with the Canadian governing body. This is not the same as Professional engineer however a P.L.Eng is allowed to practice engineering in Canada.

From my limited interaction with a P.L.E. from Quebec, the US and Canadian programs are similar.
In the US, an EET program is considered less rigorous and therefore requires more time (8 years) working under a licensed engineer vs an EE graduate (four year requirement).
Unfortunately, you may not have any real options and move forward with the EET program.
Coincidentally, I was in an EET program (while working as an Electrician/instrument tech) and had some excellent classes equal to EE coursework. And I had some EET courses that weren't. None of my EET coursework ever counted towards my educational requirements that were analyzed for ABET equivalency. Just a bit of info for you to consider. To summarize, if you have a choice between EE and EET, choose EE if you can handle the extra work and effort. The extra work required for the EE will be rewarded in requiring less time to apply for your P.L.E..

Likes donpacino
Byron Edwards said:
I am an Electrician of 14 years, now in a management position with great experience. I am looking at taking a part time study 3 year course through S.A.I.T that will allow me to get my Electrical engineering technology Diploma in 3 years all while working full-time in the city. This will permit me to eventually register as a C.E.T followed by P. Tech. and a P.L.(Eng) with APEGA.

Is this move realistic to open doors for me or is this a pipe dream? Has anyone else made this move?
It certainly isn't a pipe dream, but whether it is a good idea depends on what you want to achieve with it. You said you are in a management position -- that's pretty far to go without a license so it suggests you are on a career path that doesn't require one. This means that in order to get on a path that requires one (or one is helpful), it will likely be a different path. So: what career path are you on now and what path are you considering where you think it might benefit you?

I'm currently struggling with a similar decision regarding an MBA...

It is not clear from the discussion but I assume you are considering a 4-year BSEET and not a 2-year AS EET degree. My advice is to make the attempt to pursue the EET. Ultimately, it will refine some of your knowledge and perhaps open doors that are now welded shut without some type of degree.

What is the difference between a journeyman electrician and an EET?

A journeyman electrician is a skilled tradesperson who has completed an apprenticeship program and is licensed to perform electrical work. An EET, or electrical engineering technologist, is a professional who has completed a degree program in electrical engineering technology and is trained to design, develop, and maintain electrical systems.

What are the job responsibilities of a journeyman electrician and an EET?

A journeyman electrician is responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing electrical systems in residential, commercial, and industrial settings. An EET is responsible for designing and developing new electrical systems, troubleshooting and improving existing systems, and overseeing the installation and maintenance of electrical equipment.

Do journeyman electricians need additional training to become an EET?

Yes, in order to become an EET, a journeyman electrician would need to complete a degree program in electrical engineering technology. This program typically takes 2-3 years to complete and includes courses in electrical principles, circuit analysis, and electronic devices.

What are the career prospects for a journeyman electrician transitioning to an EET?

The career prospects for a journeyman electrician transitioning to an EET are positive. EETs are in high demand in many industries, including construction, manufacturing, and utilities. Additionally, EETs often have opportunities for career advancement and higher salaries compared to journeyman electricians.

Are there any additional skills or qualifications needed for a journeyman electrician to become an EET?

In addition to completing a degree program in electrical engineering technology, a journeyman electrician may need to obtain additional certifications or licenses depending on their location and desired job responsibilities. They may also need to develop skills in computer-aided design (CAD) and project management.