Find Resultant Wave of y1 & y2: Get Hint Now!

• Thread starter moham_87
  • Start date
In summary, Hiiiiiiiiiii everyone and thank you for participating in my summary. I have these two waves: y1=3sin(kx-wt) and y2=4cos(kx+wt). I need to find the resultant wave (y1+y2) and I got that answer: y= 7 cos(wt+45) sin(kx+45). is that right?? please if not give me a hint.
moham_87
Hiiiiiiiiiii everyone
I've these two waves
y1=3sin(kx-wt)
y2=4cos(kx+wt)
I need to find the resultant wave (y1+y2)
I got that answer:

y= 7 cos(wt+45) sin(kx+45)
is that right?? please if not give me a hint

==================My efforts=============================
I added the amplidtude mathematically
then using trigonometric rules i added the two "sin" and "cos" functions
but i still need to know if my answer is true

bYYyYyyyYYyYYyYE

Physics news on Phys.org
The addition formula that I have for the sum of waves with different amplitudes is:

[tex] A cos(x) + B sin(x) = \sqrt {A^2 + B^2} cos(x \pm \delta) [/tex]
[tex] tan( \delta) = \frac {sin \delta} {cos \delta} = \pm \frac B A [/tex]

Integral said:
The addition formula that I have for the sum of waves with different amplitudes is:

[tex] A cos(x) + B sin(x) = \sqrt {A^2 + B^2} cos(x \pm \delta) [/tex]
[tex] tan( \delta) = \frac {sin \delta} {cos \delta} = \pm \frac B A [/tex]

What is that segma?

and what about if...

What about if "x" is not equal in both equations??

Integral,

The arguments for the sin and cos in your identity are both x. I may be missing a simplification you're seeing, but he's got one wave going left and one going right, so his arguments aren't the same.

I tried using the identities for the sum and difference of two angles, but nothing cancelled, so it just got messy. But like I said, I may be missing something.

yeah it gets a little messy but:

[tex] 3 \sin {(kx-\omega t)}= 3( \sin{kx} \cos{\omega t }- \sin{\omega t} \cos {kx} )[/tex]
and
[tex] 4\cos{(kx+\omega t)}= 4(\cos{kx} \cos {\omega t}+ \sin{kx} \sin{\omega t})[/tex]
add these together to get

[tex]\cos {kx} (4 \cos {\omega t} - 3 \sin {\omega t})+ \sin{kx}(3 \cos {\omega t}+ 4 \sin{\omega t})[/tex]

now apply the formula in my first post to the terms in parentheses.

the [tex] \delta [/tex] (thats a low case delta) is defined in the second line of my first post.

Last edited:
Integral, nicely done!

Ok moham87, it doesn't look like your answer's right. But you've got your hint, so have at it! And watch those signs, or they'll kill you.

1. What is the purpose of finding the resultant wave of y1 and y2?

The purpose of finding the resultant wave is to determine the overall combined effect of two individual waves, y1 and y2. This can help in understanding the behavior and characteristics of the waves, and can be useful in various applications such as signal processing and communication systems.

2. How is the resultant wave of y1 and y2 calculated?

The resultant wave is calculated by adding the corresponding values of y1 and y2 at each point in time. This can be done graphically by superimposing the two waves or mathematically by using the formula y = y1 + y2.

3. What factors can affect the resultant wave of y1 and y2?

The resultant wave can be affected by various factors such as the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the individual waves. In addition, the direction and angle of the waves can also influence the resultant wave.

4. Can the resultant wave of y1 and y2 be negative?

Yes, the resultant wave can be negative if the two individual waves have opposite phases or if their amplitudes cancel each other out. In this case, the resultant wave will have a negative amplitude.

5. How can I use the hint to find the resultant wave of y1 and y2?

The hint can provide helpful information such as the direction and angle of the waves, which can be used to determine the resultant wave. It can also suggest mathematical techniques or formulas that can be used to calculate the resultant wave.