Exploring the Link Between Judaism and Communism in the Soviet Union

• News
  • Thread starter oldunion
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the perceived link between Judaism and communism, with one person questioning if Judaism was secretly running communism in the Soviet Union. The other person dismisses this idea and suggests locking the thread to avoid further discussion.
oldunion
why does there always seem to be a link between judaism and communism, as if judaism was actually running communism in the background but no one knew about it. I am referring specifically to the soviet union.

i have never in my life (until recently) heard that there was a judeo-communistic relation, except that Trotsky (lev dividovich bronstein) was a jew. they had religious freedom, though not publically, so i figured it was nothing.

more and more though i see a connexion. can anyone shed credibility on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
First the Jews are accused of controlling the strings in capitalism... now you are making some crazy claim that jews control communism too?

I think that nothing good can come off this thread, so we better lock it...

1. What is the connection between Judaism and communism in the Soviet Union?

The connection between Judaism and communism in the Soviet Union is complex and multifaceted. While some Jewish individuals were involved in the communist movement and held high positions in the Soviet government, the majority of Jews in the Soviet Union were not supporters of communism. Additionally, the Soviet government actively suppressed and persecuted religious practices, including Judaism. Therefore, while there were some Jewish communists, there was no inherent link between Judaism and communism in the Soviet Union.

2. How did Judaism and communism coexist in the Soviet Union?

Judaism and communism coexisted in the Soviet Union in a tense and often hostile relationship. While the Soviet government officially promoted atheism and persecuted religious practices, including Judaism, some Jewish individuals were able to rise to positions of power within the communist party and government. However, this did not mean that Judaism and communism were compatible ideologies. In fact, many Jews faced discrimination and persecution under the communist regime for their religious beliefs.

3. What were the attitudes of the Soviet government towards Judaism?

The Soviet government's attitude towards Judaism was largely negative. The official state policy was atheism, and religion, including Judaism, was seen as a threat to communist ideology. As a result, the government actively suppressed and persecuted Jewish religious practices, including closing synagogues, banning religious education, and discriminating against Jewish citizens in employment and education.

4. Did the Soviet Union have any anti-Semitic policies?

Yes, the Soviet Union did have anti-Semitic policies. While the government's official stance was to promote equality and non-discrimination, Jews faced discrimination and persecution in various forms. For example, Jews were often denied access to higher education and certain professions, and were subject to anti-Semitic propaganda in the media. Additionally, during the late 1940s and early 1950s, there was a widespread campaign against "rootless cosmopolitanism," which specifically targeted Jewish intellectuals and artists.

5. How did the Soviet government's policies towards Judaism change over time?

The Soviet government's policies towards Judaism changed over time, but remained largely negative. In the 1920s, there was a brief period of relative tolerance towards religious practices, including Judaism, but this changed in the 1930s with the rise of Stalin and his anti-religious campaigns. During World War II, the government briefly lifted some restrictions on Jewish religious practices as a propaganda tactic to gain support from Western allies. However, after the war, the Soviet Union returned to its anti-religious policies, which continued until the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.