Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Judge and criminal

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    I got a good one for y'all

A criminal was to be sentenced, and the judge told him, "You may make a statement. If it is true, I'll sentence you to four years in prison. If it is false, I'll sentence you to six years in prison." After the man made his statement, the judge decided to let him go free. What did the man say?

good luck:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2
    I am telling a lie. ?

4. Mar 12, 2009 #3
    You will sentence me to six years in prison.

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4
    There is no God.

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5
    "I'm innocent"?

"I'm the Bailiff"?

7. Mar 16, 2009 #6
    No one, save a new-born, is innocent. Just pointing that out haha, that doesn't discredit your answer.

8. Mar 20, 2009 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Then the judge turned around and sentenced him to ten.

9. Mar 20, 2009 #8
    Then the criminal's statement was false, and the judge didn't keep his word as to what he would do in that case.

10. Mar 20, 2009 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yup. And now the criminal has ten years to stew on it. :devil:

11. Mar 20, 2009 #10
    "Mom said to take off that silly robe and quit clowning around, Billy-Bob."

12. Jul 1, 2009 #11
    When making an appearance in criminal court, learning how to speak to the judge is essential to getting what you want or what you need. Following these steps could be the difference between keeping yourself in or out of custody.
    Legal Advice Forum

13. Jul 2, 2009 #12
    The poster above me is spammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

14. Jul 2, 2009 #13
    "Stick 'em up"

15. Jul 2, 2009 #14
    I think what Vanadium is saying is that, given the above sentence (which I believe is what was expected), the judge can not keep his word in any case. So whether he lets the prisoner go or sentence him to 10 years, what difference does it make with regards to what the judge keeping his word ?

16. Jul 7, 2009 #15
    the judge gives a 4 yr sentence, and a 6 yr sentence (to serve consecutively ?) it happens in real life, and no contradictions

17. Jul 7, 2009 #16

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

He said two words:

Chuck Norris

18. Jul 8, 2009 #17
    I have arranged for your wife to get the name of your "secretary" and an envelope of photographs of you and her "on the job" in the case of my incarceration.

19. Jul 21, 2009 #18
    i agree with f(x)'s answer...because if the criminal said "You will sentence me to six years in prison." and it is true, then the judge can't sentence the criminal to four years to prison because the criminal's statement is already true. while if the judge said that the criminal's statement is false, the judge will sentence him to six years, which will actually make the criminal's statement true...out of confusion the criminal was set free...

20. Jul 22, 2009 #19

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The judge never said what would occur if the criminal's statement has no truth value. Probably executes him or something

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook