Calculating Angular Acceleration in Judo Foot-Sweep Move

• Thread starter Batz74
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a judo foot-sweep move and its effects on the opponent's rotation around his right foot. The opponent's mass, center of mass, and rotational inertia are given, and the task is to determine the magnitude of his initial angular acceleration about point O under two different conditions. The equations used are Newton's second law of rotation and the formula for calculating torque.
Batz74

Homework Statement

In a judo foot-sweep move, you sweep your opponent's left foot out from under him while pulling on his gi (uniform) toward that side. As a result, your opponent rotates around his right foot and onto the mat. Figure shows a simplified diagram of your opponent as you face him, with his left foot swept out. The rotational axis is through point O. The gravitational force him effectively acts at his center of mass, which is a horizontal distance d = 28 cm from point O. His mass is 70 kg, and his rotational inertia about point O is 65 kg·m2. What is the magnitude of his initial angular acceleration about point O if your pull on his gi is (a) negligible and(b) horizontal with a magnitude of 300 N and applied at height h = 1.4 m? Assume free-fall acceleration to be equal to 9.81 m/s2.

Homework Equations

Newtons' second law of rotation

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Batz74! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hi, and thank you. I actually have NO idea where to start:cry: i am beginner in my physics course..

start by writing out Newton's second law of rotation

T = Ia ?

So, T = (70x14^2) x a

i don't understand :redface:

neither do I -_- so am i looking for rotational inertia?

1. What is a Judo foot-sweep move?

A Judo foot-sweep move is a throwing technique used in Judo, a Japanese martial art. It involves using one's leg to sweep the opponent's leg, causing them to lose their balance and fall to the ground.

2. How is the Judo foot-sweep move performed?

The Judo foot-sweep move is performed by stepping forward and positioning one's foot behind the opponent's leg. The sweeping motion is then initiated by using the leg to push and pull the opponent's leg, causing them to lose balance and fall.

3. What are the benefits of using the Judo foot-sweep move?

The Judo foot-sweep move can be an effective way to take down an opponent and gain control in a Judo match. It also requires minimal physical effort and can be performed quickly, making it a useful technique in close combat situations.

4. What are some common problems encountered when performing the Judo foot-sweep move?

Some common problems with the Judo foot-sweep move include not having enough momentum or power behind the sweep, not properly positioning the foot behind the opponent's leg, and not timing the sweep correctly.

5. How can one improve their Judo foot-sweep move?

To improve the Judo foot-sweep move, it is important to practice proper form and technique, as well as train with a partner to develop timing and coordination. Strengthening the legs and improving balance can also help to execute the move more effectively.