Juggling: Who Else Does It? Let's Talk!

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
In summary: Ya Monique, I know you mean. It's called academic juggling.Yes, I do. Right now I am juggling with several courses and several practical trainings which all require full time attention and somehow need to be handled at the same time :)
photon
Greetings my fellow people of Earth.
Just wondering: Does anyone else here juggle? I can do a couple different styles of three ball juggling, and I'm working on circle juggling, juggling clubs, and four ball juggling.
Anyone else?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can juggle three balls easily. I can sometimes do four-ball column juggling, but it's hard for me. Three-ball column juggling is also easy. I have tried with club-shaped objects, but have only been able to master 2; I can only do a few "jugs" of three clubs before dropping them.

btw, that circle-juggling is hard stuff, and nobody seems to appreciate it when you finally master it (I don't know from experience, but my friend (who taught me to juggle) had this problem...he worked really hard to master circle-juggling but it didn't really impress anybody when he finally mastered it).

Yes, I do. Right now I am juggling with several courses and several practical trainings which all require full time attention and somehow need to be handled at the same time :)

Juggling is hard stuff indeed :wink:

Ya Monique, I know you mean. It's called academic juggling.

Mentat,
Have you heard of "outside" juggling? Its kind of like regular three ball juggling, except that when a ball is coming towards your hand, you throw the ball you are holding over the incoming ball instead of under it. I think they call it outside juggling because you throw the balls outside of an imaginary circle rather than inside of it. Well anyway, it looks really impressive and is not hard to learn.
What is collumn juggling? I've never heard of it, but if you described it, I might know what you're talking about.

i learned how to juggle a bit last year during the school musical. The musical was south pacific, and so we had a lot of sailor hats lying around. I picked em up one day, and ended up becoming quite proficient, with the hats at least. They spun and looked really cool. By the end of it all, i could go under my leg and around my back, that was impressive stuff, and not too hard with the sailor hats. don't have many balls at home, so i learned how to juggle socks... i have yet to master balls though still...

Keep at it Gale. It's really fun and impressive once you can do it really well. Good arm exercise too. (I'm tired of getting beat by toddlers in arm wrestling.)
:wink:

I first attempted to juggle little apples that grew on a tree just down the street when i was 10ish. It took about a year before i actually could juggle, and I learned by juggling whatever little things i could find(rocks, potatos, apples, oranges, whatever else). I only know how to juggle inside and outside, but mabye I'll learn some new stuff.

BTW I find that outside juggling is just as easy as inside juggling.

Originally posted by photon
(I'm tired of getting beat by toddlers in arm wrestling.)
Well, THAT must be a tad embarrassing!

Keep at it Gale. It's really fun and impressive once you can do it really well. Good arm exercise too. (I'm tired of getting beat by toddlers in arm wrestling.)
A little off-topic: I once beat a guy in arm-wrestling! It was in class so like a lot of people saw it, the guy disappeared embarresedly for 30 min after the incident and took up weight lifting soon after that

A little off-topic: I once beat a guy in arm-wrestling! It was in class so like a lot of people saw it, the guy disappeared embarresedly for 30 min after the incident and took up weight lifting soon after that
My sister beats guys at things like arm wrestling and burping all the time. Beating me is nothing to be proud of though. I know people that are half my age, twice my weight, and less than half my brains. People usually don't pick on me though because of the face I where in a crowd, and how I brush by them, and the level stare I give them.

Its just plain funny how people leave me alone.

Ya Monique, I know you mean. It's called academic juggling.

Mentat,
Have you heard of "outside" juggling? Its kind of like regular three ball juggling, except that when a ball is coming towards your hand, you throw the ball you are holding over the incoming ball instead of under it. I think they call it outside juggling because you throw the balls outside of an imaginary circle rather than inside of it. Well anyway, it looks really impressive and is not hard to learn.
What is collumn juggling? I've never heard of it, but if you described it, I might know what you're talking about.

Outside juggling sounds interesting, but don't try it indoors :wink:.

Anyway, column juggling is juggling two balls in one hand, and then two balls in another hand. Well, basically, column juggling is the most basic form of juggling - since tossing a ball up and catching it with the same hand is about as fundamental as you can get!

I love juggling. I only do three, but I do collumn, outside and circle. I used to be able to go behind the back, and also I could replace the occasional catch with a bounce off my thigh, but those days are long gone. My kids get so excited when they see me juggle that they rush up to me and smack the balls away. My 2 year old tries too. He gets the three balls, tosses them up at the same time and flails his arms around and screams.

Njorl :smile:

Another kind of juggling that I've tried and failed at so far...

I call it "upside-down juggling" and don't know what the actual name is. It's where you toss the balls up with your hands starting off in the palms-down position, and then catching them in the claw-like position...basically, you look like your dog-paddling desperately .

oh ya, I know what you're talking about. Its called like underhand or something like that. I can't do that one yet though.

Mentat, what you describe in your last post I have often referred to as the Dog Paddle, but I believe the proper term is Clawing. Clawing increases the chance of a drop because the thumb makes for a narrower target than the palm of the hand does.

The “circular” juggling (where one hand does all the catching, then feeds the throwing hand in an underhand movement) is called The Shower.
To throw each object from one hand to the other in an alternating succession of throws is called the Cascade. Normally, the cascade involves throwing each object underneath the preceding one, if the throws are made to go over instead of under it is called the Reverse Cascade.
Imagine spending hundreds of hours learning to keep seven objects in the air and then having to face the inevitable response from a profane audience as someone exclaims; “WOW, can you do eight?”

Juggling is great because you can practice it nearly anywhere. I like rock juggling, of course.

Here’s an informative link on juggling terminology;
http://www.juggling.org/help/faqs/glossary.html

Originally posted by BoulderHead
Imagine spending hundreds of hours learning to keep seven objects in the air and then having to face the inevitable response from a profane audience as someone exclaims; “WOW, can you do eight?”

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I was once in Manhattan and there was a street-performer there, juggling all kinds of different things. He was really good, but he was also very funny. One of the things he did relates to what you said: He kept juggling increasing amounts of balls, until he got to seven. Then he said, "Alright, I'll show you seven", so he tossed all of the balls into the air in a perfect arc and caught them all, then stopped. That was really cool, and everyone clapped, but then he said "Alright, alright, I'll show you eight"...so he reached into his box, pulled out eight balls and showed them to us. "There, that's eight" he said, and put them back.

Anyway, I have often run into that problem, and so I've had to find humor in it, otherwise I'd just slap somebody and tell them "you try it!".

1. What is juggling?

Juggling is a physical skill that involves manipulating objects, such as balls, clubs, or rings, in a coordinated and continuous manner. It is often performed as a form of entertainment or as a recreational activity.

2. How many objects can someone juggle?

The world record for juggling the most objects is held by Alex Barron, who juggled 13 balls at once. However, most jugglers can confidently juggle 3-7 objects at a time.

3. Is juggling considered a sport?

While there are juggling competitions and organizations, juggling is not officially recognized as a sport by most governing bodies. However, it does require physical coordination, dexterity, and stamina, so it can be considered a physical activity.

4. Are there any health benefits to juggling?

Yes, juggling can have several health benefits, including improved hand-eye coordination, increased brain activity, and reduced stress levels. It also provides a form of physical exercise and can help improve motor skills.

5. Who can learn to juggle?

Anyone can learn to juggle, regardless of age or physical abilities. It may take some time and practice, but with determination and the right resources, anyone can become a skilled juggler.