Finding the Formula for a Coordinate Series: Rick's Query

In summary, the conversation discusses a basic math query involving a series of coordinates where variable X makes a jump by a factor of +4 and Y makes a jump by a factor of +2. The formula for this series is (4(n-1), 2n), and the question also asks for a formula to find the value of n. The conversation ends with the issue being resolved and thanks being given.
hello_math
Hello All

I have got a very basic Math query here and hope people will not get turned off with the nature of this simple query.
My query goes like this:
variable X makes jump by factor +4.
at the same time, Y makes a jump by factor +2

in coordinate terms, I would have a series like :
(4,2) (8,4) (12, 6) (16,8) (20,10)...and so on
I would like to know the generic formula for calculating this coordinate series...for example,if Y is (say) 2867544 , then what should be X ? ( also vice versa )

can anyone tell me a formula for this please
...and hope the question was clear .

Thanks
Rick

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hello_math said:
Hello All

I have got a very basic Math query here and hope people will not get turned off with the nature of this simple query.
My query goes like this:
variable X makes jump by factor +4.
at the same time, Y makes a jump by factor +2
The jumps are not by a "factor" of 4 or 2. Factor implies things being multiplied. Here you're just adding 4 or 2 to the previous x or y value, respectively.
hello_math said:
in coordinate terms, I would have a series like :
(4,2) (8,4) (12, 6) (16,8) (20,10)...and so on
All of these points are on a straight line whose equation is y = (1/2)x.
hello_math said:
I would like to know the generic formula for calculating this coordinate series...for example,if Y is (say) 2867544 , then what should be X ? ( also vice versa )

can anyone tell me a formula for this please
...and hope the question was clear .

Thanks
Rick

Likes hello_math
And, since ##x_n=4n,~n=1,2,3...## your coordinate pairs are ##(4n,2n)##.

Thanks all . Yes my 'factor' impliction was wrongly used indeed :(
there was another mistake of mine with the series. the actual points on the straight line are : ( 0,2,) ,(4,4) ,(8,6)...and so on.
and I can't use y = (1/2)x here.
and I don't think I can use (4n,2n) either. [ e.g for the 20th 'jump' , it {as per the 4n,2n) formula } should be 80,40..but actually the coordinates are (76,40) ]
so what can I use here ...and what if 'n' is not given at all. How do I go about . In other words if only Y coordinate has been given for e.g Y is (say) 2867544 .

I am asking this on behalf of my 12 year old kid, who has only a 'jump' till Y coordinate =62 in his textbook. Now this can be easily done with the fingers and the homework is finished :)...but I was looking for a more generic formula here & completely out of curiosity.

Thanks

Try ##(4(n-1),2n)##.

Likes hello_math
allright and anyway to find the 'n' too ?

hello_math said:
allright and anyway to find the 'n' too ?
I don't understand what you are asking. ##n## can be ##1,2,3,4...##. Find what ##n##?

Likes hello_math
nope nothing
I was a bit confused myself here.
anyway...Super. Let's close this issue here now

and Thanks all.!

1. What is a coordinate series?

A coordinate series is a set of ordered pairs that represent the positions of points on a graph. It is usually written in the form (x,y), where x represents the horizontal position and y represents the vertical position.

2. Why is it important to find the formula for a coordinate series?

Finding the formula for a coordinate series allows us to predict the position of any point on the graph without having to plot it manually. It also helps us understand the relationship between the x and y values and allows us to make accurate calculations.

3. How do you find the formula for a coordinate series?

To find the formula for a coordinate series, you will need to have at least two points on the graph. You can then use the coordinates of these points to calculate the slope (m) of the line connecting them. Once you have the slope, you can use the point-slope formula (y - y1 = m(x - x1)) to find the equation of the line.

4. Are there different methods for finding the formula for a coordinate series?

Yes, there are different methods for finding the formula for a coordinate series, depending on the type of series and the given information. Some methods include using the distance formula, the midpoint formula, and the slope-intercept form.

5. Can the formula for a coordinate series be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the formula for a coordinate series can be used to solve real-world problems that involve linear relationships, such as calculating the cost of a product based on the number of units sold, or predicting the population growth of a city over time. It is a useful tool in many fields of science and engineering.