Jump Start Bicycle Freewheel Cog: Simple & Robust Designs

In summary, to lock a freewheel cog on a motorized bicycle, you could use a ratchet-style cog or a one-way bearing, both of which would prevent the wheel from turning while the engine is off but still allow it to rotate when the engine is running. These options should be readily available and simple to install.
thorpie
Hello
I need a method of locking a freewheel cog at the back wheel of a bicycle.
Have motorized bicycle. It has a chain from the engine to an overrun cog on back wheel. The engine will only be used intermittently, about 10% of the time. I need to jump start the engine often, but I need as little effect on the pedaller as possible whilst the engine is not running. Hence the overrun cog at the back wheel rather than a constantly driven chain with a clutch up at the engine.
Would anyone know of any simple robust designs, preferably off the shelf.

Engineering news on Phys.org
One possible solution is to use a ratchet-style freewheel cog. This type of cog has teeth that fit together like a puzzle, and the wheel will turn backward but not forward. This would keep the wheel from rotating while the engine is off, but still allow it to rotate when the engine is running. You could also use a one-way bearing, which is a small device that is designed to lock the wheel in place but still allow it to rotate in one direction. This would also prevent the wheel from turning while the engine is off. Both of these options should be relatively easy to find and install.

1. What is a freewheel cog and how does it work?

A freewheel cog is a part of a bicycle's drivetrain that allows the rider to pedal forward and coast without the pedals turning. It works by using a ratcheting mechanism that only engages when the pedals are turned in a forward direction, allowing the rider to coast when the pedals are not being turned.

2. How do I choose the right freewheel cog for my bicycle?

The size of the freewheel cog is determined by the number of teeth it has. A larger number of teeth will result in a lower gear ratio and easier pedaling, while a smaller number of teeth will result in a higher gear ratio and harder pedaling. It is important to choose a freewheel cog that is compatible with your bicycle's drivetrain and will provide the desired level of pedaling difficulty.

3. What are some advantages of a simple and robust design for a freewheel cog?

A simple and robust design for a freewheel cog can offer several advantages. Firstly, it can be more reliable and less prone to failure, ensuring a smoother and more consistent ride. Additionally, a simple design can be easier to maintain and repair, saving time and money for the rider. Finally, a robust design can withstand more wear and tear, making it a more durable option for long-term use.

4. Can I replace a freewheel cog on my own or do I need a professional?

Replacing a freewheel cog can be done by a professional or by the rider themselves, depending on their level of experience and comfort with bike maintenance. However, it is important to ensure that the replacement cog is compatible with the bike's drivetrain and that proper tools and techniques are used to avoid damaging the freewheel or other components of the bike.

5. How often should I replace my freewheel cog?

The frequency of freewheel cog replacement can vary depending on the rider's usage, but it is recommended to replace it every 3,000-5,000 miles. Signs that a freewheel cog may need to be replaced include skipping or slipping gears, difficulty pedaling, or visible wear and tear on the cog teeth. Regular maintenance and inspection can help determine when a replacement is necessary.