Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jumped into a droplet of water

1. Jun 2, 2004 #1
    If i were able to shrink myself to the size of say a flea and I jumped into a droplet of water ( that is av rain drop size ) would the water feel the same as if it were my normal size or would it feel more like jelly ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2004 #2
    Anyone can answer this ??
  4. Jun 5, 2004 #3

I've never been that small, couldn't tell ya :biggrin:
  5. Jun 5, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Are thinking of typical values of the Reynolds numbers involved?
  6. Jun 6, 2004 #5
    Just what flavor of jelly are we talkin about here?
  7. Jun 6, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The physical property that distinguishes water from jelly is its viscosity. There are other differences too, but the viscosity largely covers the differences in intermolecular interactions.

Turning yourself into a flea has no effect on the viscosity of water...so it will not feel like jelly. However, its surface may. Now that your weight is much smaller, and your density is still just above 1 gm/cc, the surface tension will be within an order of magnitude of your weight (per unit length). So you'll most likely be able to walk on water. But if you get shoved under, it will likely still feel like...water !
  8. Jun 6, 2004 #7

Science Advisor

Reminds me: There was a short story by James Blish called "Surface Tension". It was written in the 50s, but AFAIK is scientifically realistic.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?