Conservation of Momentum in a Two-Sled System

• Thread starter Punchlinegirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, using conservation of momentum, the final speed of sled 2 after the cat jumps from sled 1 and back is 1.99 m/s. The final speed of sled 1 is 3.51 m/s. The correct equation to use is mv = M V2 - mv.
Punchlinegirl
Two 18.0 kg ice sleds are placed a short distance apart, one directly behind the other, as shown in the figure. A 4.72 kg cat, initially standing on sled 1, jumps across to sled 2 and then jumps back to sled 1. Both jumps are made at a horizontal speed of 3.79 m/s relative to the ice. What is the final speed of sled 2? (Assume the ice is frictionless.)

I tried using conservation of momentum.
(18.0 + 4.72)(3.79)= (18.0)v
solving for v gave me 4.78 m/s which wasn't right.
Can someone help?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't write momentum conservation correctly.

If v is the speed of the cat (relative to the ground) and m it's mass then the cat's momentum upon leaving sled 1 is mv. After landing on the sled (mass = M) the momentum is (m + M) V1 so mv = (m + M)V1. When the cat jumps off that sled, momentum is again conserved so (m+M)V1 = MV2 - mv. (Notice that the first sled doesn't really enter into the picture for this particular problem.)

You should be able to take it from there! :)

Thank you. I got that part, the answer was 1.99 m/s.
The second part asks for the final speed of sled 1.
I tried using what you did before, only this time the initial sled was sled 2 and final was sled 1.
MV2-mv= (m+M)V1
(18)(1.99)-(4.72)(3.79)= (18 + 4.72)V1
Solving for v gave me .789 m/s, which wasn't right.
Can someone help?

You're solving for V2, not V1. V1 = 1.99 m/s, not V2.

Ok I used (m+M)V1= MV2-mv
(4.72+18)(1.99)= (18)V2- (4.72)(3.79)
Solving for V2 gave me 3.51 m/s.. which wasn't right.
Is my equation even right?

Punch,

From what I wrote previously you can take a shortcut:

[tex]mv = (M+m)V_2 - mv[/tex]

and the solution should jump right out! :)

Punchlinegirl said:
Ok I used (m+M)V1= MV2-mv
(4.72+18)(1.99)= (18)V2- (4.72)(3.79)
Solving for V2 gave me 3.51 m/s.. which wasn't right.
Is my equation even right?
Your equation is correct, but the speed of sled #2 after the first jump (V1) is not 1.99 m/s! (Sorry for not checking before.) You can redo your first calculation or...

Even better is to use Tide's last suggestion, which recognizes that the total momentum of "cat + sled #2" after the first jump must equal the momentum of the jumping cat: (m + M)V1 = mv. Thus your equation:
[tex](m + M) V_1 = M V_2 - mv[/tex]
becomes [tex]mv = M V_2 - mv[/tex]

Ok. I got it. Thanks a bunch!

1. What is momentum and how does it relate to a jumping cat?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. In the case of a jumping cat, its momentum is determined by its weight and the speed at which it jumps. As the cat jumps, it gains momentum which allows it to move through the air and land safely.

2. Why do cats seem to have such impressive jumping abilities?

Cats have strong and flexible muscles in their hind legs, allowing them to generate a lot of force when jumping. They also have a unique skeletal structure that allows them to extend and contract their legs quickly, giving them powerful jumping capabilities.

3. Can a cat's jump be affected by its size or weight?

Yes, a cat's size and weight can impact its jumping ability. Heavier cats may not be able to jump as high as lighter cats due to the amount of force they can generate. Similarly, larger cats may not be as agile in the air compared to smaller cats.

4. Is a cat's jumping ability influenced by its age or breed?

Yes, a cat's age and breed can play a role in its jumping ability. Younger cats tend to have more energy and agility, allowing them to jump higher and farther. Certain breeds, such as the Bengal cat, are known for their impressive jumping abilities due to their muscular and athletic build.

5. How does a cat control its landing after a jump?

A cat controls its landing through its sense of balance and coordination. As it jumps, it uses its tail to help adjust its body position and prepare for landing. Cats also have flexible joints that allow them to absorb the impact of landing, reducing the risk of injury.