1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jumping on other planets

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    This is not a homework question. I'm just interested. My friends and I have been discussing this problem. I want to know an equation to calculate how high I can jump on another planet as a function of the planet's radius, mass, wind resistance, rotation, latitude and height they can jump on Earth. Anyone care to give this a try? Also, is there anything else I should factor in?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The only relevant factors are mass and radius of the planet. Wind, rotation and latitude are not significant factors.

What you could do is produce a formula that will give you a fraction of Earth's values. That way, you can convert any values you want.

eg. the value for Jupiter would be (depending on what height you want to call its radius) 0.4. So a jump you could make here would be multiplied by .4 to get it on Jupiter. A standing jump of 3 feet on Earth would translate to a jump on Jupiter of 1.2 feet. A pole vault of 18 feet would translate to 7.2 feet.

4. May 19, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, the 'surface' of Jupiter (top 25% or so) is liquid Hydrogen so it would be a bit 'soggy' for athletics - or even for standing up! If you go down to it's more dense middle part then it it is too damned hot and it's molten, apparently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook