Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jumping to the 4th dimension

1. Jan 10, 2014 #1
    Hey there peers :smile:
    I'm really keen on explaining science to others and I've been practicing it with my classmates lately, so I thought why not give it a try and make my first ever youtube video about a seemingly hard concept which is a space of 4 dimensions. I made this post just because I want to get constructive criticism from you out there that may be more familiar with the topic. So here's the link to it http://youtu.be/zT44y-jD2rk Hope you can be objective and keep in mind that I'm not targeting the explanation to a mathematically mature audience, but to the average teenager.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2014 #2
    One thing I can say for sure is that the quality of the audio is terrible. I can understand what you are saying but it's too much of an effort. Secondly, I think you shouldn't use your laptop's built in microphone for such things. Lastly, instead of showing your face to the audience, use diagrams or drawings in the video to illustrate your points.

4. Jan 10, 2014 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't think you have understood topology that much, and furthermore, I don't know where you get the idea of "4 dimensions" from, but it is certainly not the 3 space + 1 time dimensions that is described in Special Relativity.

I think before you try to "teach" or explain something to others, you need to make sure you understand it at a higher level than the level you intend to explain it to. Certainly try to understand it first before you make a video out of it.

Zz.

5. Jan 10, 2014 #4
    @ZapperZ Thank you so much for responding! Actually, the one problem that came up in my mind while concocting the idea of the 4D space was to depict it differently from the 4 dimensional Minkowski space, because I knew that would just cause confusion, so I didn't even touch upon the subject in the video and didn't mention time at all. To add, I just wanted to give a different view of a supposed-4D world because every other video I've ever come across just put tesseracts in front of the viewer's face, so I thought hitting the problem with dimensional analogy would make it easier. Anyways, I really appreciate your comment :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook