1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Junction area of diode

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1
    Hi Guys!

My Question is this:

Dsign the circuit of the fig: so that Vo= 3V when IL = 0 A AND Vo changes by 40mV per 1mA of load current. the value of R = 4.8Kilo ohms. find the juction area of each diode (assume all four diodes are identical) relative to a diode with 0.7 V drop at 1mA current. Assume n=1.

The ans of this question is 0.34 but how it has been calculated.

Plz help
    Thanks in advance:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2011 #2
    since we know that I(s) , i.e. the saturation current is proportonal to the junction area , calculate saturation current for the two cases as follows:
    first for the four diodes ,given that they are identical, the voltage drop across each will be 3/4 = .75v, I = 2.5 mA. using eq I = I(s)exp(v/nVt) we get saturation curret for the given diode as 2.339 x 10^(-16).
    Similarly for the given standard diode that is one with the voltage drop of .7v and I = 1mA
    we get saturation current as 6.19 x 10^(-16).

since we have to find the relative area, simply dividing the above two saturation current would give the answer that is .34

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?