What's Happening for the June 8th Eclipse of Venus?

In summary: I guess I'll just have to watch it online :(In summary, the transit of Venus is visible in Eastern parts of America and South America, but most of the world will not be able to see it.

What do you plan to do for the venus transit

• Travel to Europe to see the entire transit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Watch transit in Eastern Canada/U.S at sunrise

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Watch transit in Australia at sunset

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It doesn't really matter

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mark
Hey guys, I just wanted to know what everyone's up too for the June 8th eclipse of Venus...(and inform anyone who doesn't know)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'll be missing it. I'm in Eastern Canada but 'll be doing an exam that morning and the day before so I won't be putting any leisure time into my schedule.

ill be missing it as well :(

"Note that the transit is not visible from Mexico (except Yucatan where egress occurs during sunrise). "
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/transit/TV2004/city-CA.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully I will be watching the ellipse during sunrise June 8th. I am lucky to even have a chance to view it.

I'll be watching it from school :) From Norway it's easily visible from 7 am to like 1 pm. Just hope we don't get any clouds :uhh:

Can the eclipse be sighted from any place in Earth, like South Asia, or merely in the Americas?

Eclipses are a fascinating facet of astronomy and enlightens to mystify the human soul.

Since a transit only lasts like half an hour, and it will be visible in Athens, I presume it will not be visible in the New World at all. Corrections?

selfAdjoint said:
Since a transit only lasts like half an hour, and it will be visible in Athens, I presume it will not be visible in the New World at all. Corrections?
Click the graphic to enlarge.

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/article_1021_2.asp

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/Transit.html
and a cool World map at:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/M2006map_AA.pdf

If Kerrie wanders through here, I am curious as to whether she puts an astrological significance to this astronomical event.

I just checked with an astronomy official.

Times for the transit: 5:30 GMT - 10:30 GMT. Maximum point of the eclipse shall occur during 8:30 GMT.

Most of America and the New World shall miss the transit entirely. Only Eastern parts of America and South America shall witness this transit.

we will have a satellite uplink to Greece where we will watch it between 11pm-7am

I'm going to try and grab some pics... I think I figured it will be here 7:00AM for east Coast Canada?

i hate to be picky but is the phrase 'eclipse of venus' correct?

it isn't venus that is being eclipsed is it?

as i understand the sun will be eclipsed ever so slightly (0.0078% less light from the sun i think).

I've got my prime position, here in Oz (I can't wait to see Venus' atmosphere "shroud").

I've heard that there are places we can watch the eclipse on the internet. Any recomendations?

i hate to be picky but is the phrase 'eclipse of venus' correct?- fbsthreads

I am 80% sure that I have heard of this sort of phenomenon being called a "transit."

Math Is Hard said:
I've heard that there are places we can watch the eclipse on the internet. Any recomendations?

http://www.astronomy.no/ is probably one of the bests

Xaxerian said:
Can the eclipse be sighted from any place in Earth, like South Asia, or merely in the Americas?

People in some Asian Countries can watch the whole event. In Hong Kong, the eclipse will start at 13.12 (HK time) and we can watch nearly the entire process. :biggrin: The sun here will set just a few minutes before Venus "emerges" from the sun, what a pity! :cry:

Today is quite cloudy in Hong Kong, I hope it won't affect us watching this event.

Counting down --- 3 hrs !

thx, check!

1) In regards to my improper grammer - eclipse of venus, yes I was incorrect, my deepest appologies. The "transit" of venus - perhaps that is better

2) I am setting my alarm now, ill set my telescope on it, if it can see past my local suburbia of houses in the way of the sun! Should be good, thanks for all the posts guys

It is a warm, sunny day with only a handful of clouds where I live in.

The transit shall take place from 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM. What a sign from God unto mankind.

Its nice how the universe works out, and yet people still refuse to consdier that mabye a distinct, intelligent being created all of it. But i don't want to start that debate! Anyway, yup I am going to sleep so i can watch it - cheers, enjoy the transit, this is my last post on this topic!

Report from Norway:
An insignificant pinhead-sized black dot is at the moment visible on the solar disk.

Well that was fun. We should do this again sometime, say... June 6th, 2012?

Looks like it's back to sleep for me!

This morning, I saw it with my 8" telescope. Here, in Spain, the vision was absolutely perfect!

Nice transit ;)

I am ticked! I used the time that was given, and saw absolutely nothing! One of those links had inaccurate information!

GRRRR

oh well :)

Actually called in and skipped workto see it. Quite wonderous!

Well I managed to take a couple of pics, but I was rushed cause it was only visible for a short while where I was. Anyway, I touched up one of the pics I took, nothing too spectacular, but visible though a little smudged.

Anyway, enjoy...

Attachments

• venus1small.jpg
    venus1small.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 356

1. What is the June 8th eclipse of Venus?

The June 8th eclipse of Venus is a rare astronomical event in which the planet Venus passes directly between the Earth and the Sun, creating a silhouette effect.

2. When and where can I see the June 8th eclipse of Venus?

The eclipse will occur on June 8th, 2023 and will be visible from the eastern hemisphere, including parts of Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia.

3. How often does the June 8th eclipse of Venus occur?

The June 8th eclipse of Venus occurs approximately once every 121 years, making it a very rare event to witness.

4. Is it safe to look at the June 8th eclipse of Venus?

No, it is not safe to look directly at the eclipse without proper eye protection. The intense sunlight can damage your eyes. It is recommended to use special solar filters or to view the eclipse indirectly through a pinhole projector.

5. What can scientists learn from the June 8th eclipse of Venus?

Scientists can use the eclipse to study the atmosphere and surface of Venus, as well as to gather data on the planet's size, shape, and position in its orbit. This can help us better understand the dynamics of our solar system and how planets evolve over time.