Junior engineer - how to do it right?

In summary: The new engineer should read up on the machines they are working with and try to get in touch with the manufacturer. This will help keep the equipment running smoother and keep the company from spending a lot of money on repairs.
danielp3
TL;DR Summary
Junior engineer at a plastic industry
So recently I got my first job as an mechanical engineer. YAY!
The factory produces plastic products such as bottles/jar/etc with 2 main methods.
blow molding for PP and HDPE & ISBM for PET.
The whole area of plastic is completely new to me, my boss know that.
I'm the only mechanical engineer they have and I'm supposed to learn this field from scratch.
Many of the machines have lots of problems and maintenance people don't know how to deal with some of them from the engineer point of view.
I read a lot on the subject but still, dealing with an issue on the field is quite difficult.

I hope any of you have some insights/advices/suggestions, I'll be happy to learn.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Get a subscription to Plant Engineering magazine. Then read every issue.

I'm sure that there is a similar magazine for the plastic molding industry. Get that also.

These magazines are free, you only need to tell them that you are an engineer working in the industry. And relax, nobody expects you to know everything. Just start learning, do your best, and enjoy.

Likes hmmm27, russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
jrmichler said:
Get a subscription to Plant Engineering magazine. Then read every issue.

I'm sure that there is a similar magazine for the plastic molding industry. Get that also.

These magazines are free, you only need to tell them that you are an engineer working in the industry. And relax, nobody expects you to know everything. Just start learning, do your best, and enjoy.
Thanks a lot! will do

Likes berkeman
Remember that you know basic classical physics (mechanics, thermo, heat transfer, circuits, etc) and don't be afraid to use this. You'll be amazed at what you can do if you are willing to think hard.

Likes russ_watters and anorlunda
Dr.D said:
Remember that you know basic classical physics (mechanics, thermo, heat transfer, circuits, etc) and don't be afraid to use this. You'll be amazed at what you can do if you are willing to think hard.
For sure! thanks for motivating!

Likes WWGD
danielp3 said:
Many of the machines have lots of problems and maintenance people don't know how to deal with some of them from the engineer point of view.
I read a lot on the subject but still, dealing with an issue on the field is quite difficult.
Try to get in contact with the equipment manufacturer if possible: if not possible then with a manufacturer of similar purpose equipment. There is no way you are the only one facing those problems, so they should be able to provide some help (to keep a customer - or to get a customer: from your point of view that does not matters).

Be creative in finding help - and do not hesitate to put the role of the engineer of the company/factory in full display if must. Junior or not, you are now engineer.

danielp3 said:
...maintenance people don't know how to deal with some of them from the engineer point of view...
The factory is still running so it is a safe guess that they have some way around some issues. Better to listen to them, since at this point they know more about the site than you do: even if their solutions may not really by the book (so they won't tell to anybody they don't trust) it might serve as a basis of improvement.
The 'old ones' are the treasure of every factory. Treat them that way.

Last edited:
Likes JBA, berkeman and jrmichler
Rive said:
The factory is still running so it is a safe guess that they have some way around some issues. Better to listen to them, since at this point they know more about the site than you do: even if their solutions may not really by the book (so they won't tell to anybody they don't trust) it might serve as a basis of improvement.

Amen!

Rive said:
Try to get in contact with the equipment manufacturer if possible: if not possible then with a manufacturer of similar purpose equipment. There is no way you are the only one facing those problems, so they should be able to provide some help (to keep a customer - or to get a customer: from your point of view that does not matters).
Ok, thanks for the tip.

Rive said:
Be creative in finding help - and do not hesitate to put the role of the engineer of the company/factory in full display if must. Junior or not, you are now engineer.
ok, thanks!

Rive said:
The factory is running, yet with a lot of depreciation and waste.
I' m listening and asking what I find important, lots of time they don't have the answers.
Rive said:
Of course, but they are hard to talk to.
They don't like when someone new asking questions :\

danielp3 said:
Of course, but they are hard to talk to.
They don't like when someone new asking questions :\
Then you need to arm yourself with facts. Get up to speed on OEE, line efficiency, downtime costs, product quality, reject rates, etc. Then your discussion is along the line of:

"Our OEE is only XXXX, product quality is YYYY, and management needs that improved. We need to do things differently."

Find out (by careful observation) if they are pushed into patching old equipment, or if they are expected to make proper repairs. If management thinks that breakdown maintenance is cost effective, then you have a real challenge. You need to decide if you are better off to (try to) teach management about cost effective maintenance, or to go with the flow and fight problems.

danielp3 said:
... they are hard to talk to. ... They don't like when someone new asking questions :\
At this point they don't have much reason to trust you. It is a bit unfair from me to give such advice since I'm not really gifted in this regard but you might need some social skills (apart from hard work) to earn their trust.

danielp3 said:
I' m listening and asking what I find important
And what is what they find important?

Last edited:
Likes JBA and berkeman
You are in a learning phase at this time, so concentrate on learning the processes from the older employees and use that information to start investigating and studying on your own about the issues of improving efficiency and productivity. Long time employees are always going to be suspicious of new comers that come in and immediately start inquiring and talking about making changes.

JBA said:
... new comers that come in and immediately start inquiring and talking about making changes.

The key element in this statement from JBA is "talking about making changes." If you phrase you questions well, simply asking "how do we accomplish this task or that" so as not to imply any desire to modify the process, I think you will find most are happy to talk. Most folks like to play teacher. But there again, the key word is "how," not "why." The choice of words can make all the difference.

• Love
Likes Tom.G and anorlunda
Yield is a way to describe in-process waste that provides a simple number that production management can understand. It is the number of good parts divided by the number of starts, in percent. In your case the number of starts could be the shot count on the moulder or the number of preforms used. Is yield measured, reported and acted on in your plant? If not you could start there.

The fundamentals of plastic moulding are temperature, pressure and time. Understanding how these affect a moulding process and the parts is makes is key and you should already be training on process setup and control.

Stats help to understand how yield is affected by your machinery and process and gives you tools to measure and report improvement work. Do not be shy of learning stats if you aren't already familiar, I consider it is a fundamental skill any engineer working on processes.

1. What are the key skills required to be a successful junior engineer?

Some key skills that are essential for a junior engineer include problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, teamwork, and adaptability. These skills will help you excel in your role and contribute to the success of your team and projects.

2. How can I gain experience as a junior engineer?

There are several ways to gain experience as a junior engineer, such as internships, co-ops, or volunteer work. You can also work on personal projects or participate in hackathons to develop your skills and gain practical experience.

3. What are some common mistakes made by junior engineers?

Some common mistakes made by junior engineers include not asking for help when needed, not paying attention to details, and not communicating effectively with team members. It's important to be open to learning and actively seek feedback to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I stay updated with the latest technologies and advancements as a junior engineer?

To stay updated with the latest technologies and advancements, you can attend conferences, workshops, and seminars related to your field. You can also follow industry leaders and experts on social media and join online communities to stay informed and connected.

5. What are some tips for maintaining a work-life balance as a junior engineer?

As a junior engineer, it's important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being. Some tips for maintaining a work-life balance include setting boundaries, taking breaks, and finding hobbies or activities outside of work. It's also important to communicate with your team and manager if you feel overwhelmed or need support.