1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Junior seeking help for project.

1. Jan 22, 2004 #1
    Alrighty, thanks FZ+.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2004 #2

FZ+

Er... I think you misunderstand Newton's equations here. There is a principle of relativity which states that travel at constant velocity is indistinguishible from being stationary. Thus, you can only measure change in velocity, not actual movement. Circular motion is different...

No. There is an acceleration on the water towards the center, yes, but that is applied by the sides of the container. The water, by Newton's first law, will move at a tangential velocity until it is accelerated. So you should see an increase in water level away from your centre of rotation, where contact forces are acting to stop your water overflowing...

4. Jan 22, 2004 #3
    So the water would "tilt" away from the center? I know I'm new at this, so I appreciate your pointers.

5. Jan 23, 2004 #4

FZ+

Yes, it would tilt away, giving a higher water level at the sides and a lower level in the centre.

6. Jan 24, 2004 #5
    Excellent, this cleared up quite a bit. Thanks very much.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?