Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Junk food

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

I'm in middle school, and they just passed this gay law(or so I heard.) saying that junk food shouldn't be allowed in schools. WTF?!!? It's pissing me off... :mad:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) Most children are not really competent to make sensible choices on their own.

2) Childhood obesity is a very serious problem in the US, leading to many billions of dollars of healthcare bills and lowered productivity.

3) The law probably deals with serving or selling junk food in schools. If you're really that addicted to junk food, you can bring it with you to school. On the other hand, apples are pretty damn tasty -- try one.

- Warren

4. Apr 29, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Many people currently on their death bed from heart failure and such that still havent hit the age of 40 might have a different opinion on this.

What actually pisses me off though is that this kinda law would be passed.... but cell phones are allowed! grrr :D I hate cel phones!!!!

5. Apr 29, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

I don't try anything new with the scool food. I once was eating chicken and found a spleen... :yuck:

My friends insist on crushing the inside of bananas while the skin remains intact. It gives us something to do during language arts class...

Today, I did get an apple. I again, crushed the inside with the skin intact. Apples have a lot of air in them, the pop sounded like this:

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...............

6. Apr 29, 2005 #5
    Junk food makes you use bad words, misspell words, and generally destroy the English language. The class you destroy fruit in could actually be of assistance to you.

That said, I just polished off a #4, no onions with a Coke from "McDougals" :tongue2:

7. Apr 29, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's about time! I don't know what possessed administrators to decide it was okay to sell junk food in schools in the first place! If parents want to allow their kids to eat junk food, they can send it with them in a packed lunch.

I remember when my elementary school first introduced ice cream sandwiches on Fridays (it was supposed to be a once a week treat). My mom was ready to pitch a fit that they were serving us junk at lunch time. They had to set it up so you weren't allowed to buy ice cream until the last 10 minutes of the lunch period, and the lunch aides gave you permission only if you had eaten your lunch first (this was to keep the kids who were given only lunch money and weren't supposed to buy ice cream from buying ice cream instead of lunch; parents who didn't want their kids to buy ice cream just didn't give them money for it). It was really rare that my mom would give me enough money to buy ice cream. I got the exact amount needed to buy lunch or a bag lunch handed to me each morning, and nothing more.

8. Apr 29, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Things sure have changed since I was a kid. We weren't allowed to have ANY food in class. We ate lunch at lunch time, and that was all we got while at school. If you got thirsty, there were water fountains in the hallways.

9. Apr 29, 2005 #8
    I know. This bugs the hell out of me. In my classes there are signs on the wall "No eating, No drinking, No smoking". But people drink and eat all the time. The drinking doesn't bother me, but the eating sometimes does. Listening to someone wrestle with a wrapper, or munch on a bag of chips is just distracting. One guy brought a whole pizza into the classroom. He offered some to the teacher and she told him to stop eating in class. Everyone could still smell the pizza. I hated it. Maybe I should just light up a cigarette in class and start puffing away. If we are going to break the rules then we might as well break all of them. (I don't believe in that, but sometimes feel that way.)

10. Apr 29, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

Yeah, my old school had junk food once a week. Now, we buy what we want, when we want. Even certain small buissnesses are giving our school food. We get "ozark delight lollipops" (weekly), "jamba juice"(weekly) which are just smoothies, and "port-of-subs" sandwiches,(daily) which are like $3.50! :grumpy:

We also have cookies for 50 cents everyday. Italian ice, nutty roayal ice-cream, these we can buy anytime we want. Our scool has a lot of variety though.. :tongue:

11. Apr 29, 2005 #10
    I had lunch with my 2d grade nephew about 6 months ago and was mildly amused. The kids get their lunch and sit down and if they want any condiments the have to raise their hand and an instructor comes over and squirts either katsup or mustard on their tray for them. After eating they have to stay in their seat until the instructor says they can line up at the door and then they leave. When I was that age we ate then left to go stand in the entry way by the Principals office (kept us quiet) until the teacher came to open the door for us to go back down the hall to class. Funny, I don't remember a Police presence in school at that time.

12. Apr 29, 2005 #11

JamesU

Gold Member

As amazing as it sounds, :uhh: we get to squirt our own katsup and mustard on our food! :eek: And we can go wherever we want (within the school) until next period.

13. Apr 29, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

what the hell... Educate our future and slowly begin the killing off process at soon as possible!

14. Apr 29, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! When I was that age, I think we got to add our own condiments, but it was done at the end of the food line, before we got to our tables. We weren't made to sit still, just as long as we stayed by our class' table (each class had their own table at that age). When we were done eating, we were released onto the playground for recess, got out all that extra energy we built up from sitting still in the morning, and then were herded back into lines by class to return to the building for our afternoon lessons (there were literally lines drawn on the blacktop that we had to go stand on at the end of recess, one line for each class). I miss recess!!! :cry:

15. Apr 29, 2005 #14

JamesU

Gold Member

Don't we all?

16. Apr 30, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't believe any of it yomamma. Really what happens is that adults sit around and conspire to make kids miserable. We laugh and laugh and laugh... :rofl: Next we plan to raise the driving age... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:wink:

17. Apr 30, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The more and more time seperates me from public school, teh more i start to think this is actually true lol.

18. Apr 30, 2005 #17

JamesU

Gold Member

No, you don't. And when I become 15 and 7/12, I'll come to your house and kick your ass

19. Apr 30, 2005 #18

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have been preaching that ever since a dim witted, 16 year old, Titanic watching, N Sync loving, Abercrombie and Fitch wearing, Brittney Spears wanna-be totaled my wife's car because she felt she couldn't be distracted with details like 'driving' while putting on her make up on the way to the mall.

Jimminey....is this a school or a friggin' movie theater? In the immortal words of the snooty Maitr D' from Ferris Bueller's Day Off...."I weep for the future."

20. Apr 30, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Man i saw this one girl in this red convertable, blonde hair... went right through a red light like it was nothing. Then i dont know hoa mny times ive seen girls go through stop signs while on the phone.

Its like.... guys, we always stop at reds and stopsigns... but man do we know how to speed. Girls can never even reac the speed limit some times but its like their immune to the color red.

21. Apr 30, 2005 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did I mention the curfew being discussed? :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?