Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Jupiter's gravitational pull on the Sun and Earth

1. Nov 9, 2017 #21

RJM

@Glenstr - I believe the show was/is How The Universe Works. I saw the same episode and am wondering the same thing. If Jupiter's "orbit" around the Sun pulls it (I thought they had said 1million kms) closer to Jupiter then there would be an effect on our temperatures. When the Sun, Earth and Jupiter are all in alignment every 12 years we should expect warmer weather for a period that we are in effect "closer" to the Sun. And thus when we are opposite with Jupiter we would experience colder temperatures.

2. Nov 9, 2017 #22

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Earth's distance to the Sun varies by 5 million kilometers over a year simply from its eccentricity. It is a bit closer to the Sun when the Northern hemisphere has winter. As result, the seasons tend to be less pronounced there compared to the Southern hemisphere.
    This has nothing to do with Jupiter, which pulls on Earth and Sun in nearly the same amount. The position of the Sun relative to the barycenter of the solar system (=its motion due to Jupiter and Saturn) is irrelevant for Earth.
    This alignment happens every ~13 months.

3. Nov 10, 2017 #23
    Sun Barycenter is an interesting topic. Some of the 3 d graphs are astounding.

There has been some discussion that the sun's barycentric orbit sometimes results in significantly less sunlight hitting the earth. I've not found anything that shows cause for alarm in the immediate future. The greater (much greater) problem is grand solar minima.

Barycenter is just one of a gazillion pieces of evidence to sort through as to why anthropogenic CO2 based global warming hypothesis is rubbish.

4. Nov 10, 2017 #24

Drakkith

That's a bit difficult to believe. The Earth is pulled right along with the Sun, so our orbital distance isn't changing that much.

Please keep those sentiments to yourself. The scientific consensus of climatologists clearly points towards anthropogenic CO2 based global warming. It may turn out that they are wrong, but until the scientific consensus turns the other way talk of it being "rubbish" is unwelcome since we pride ourselves on following the current scientific consensus here at PF. Furthermore, given that climate change is a very polarized issue in the public, discussions about it rarely go well, so we have added it to our list of topics which are not allowed to be discussed without prior approval by the staff. If you have any questions or comments about our rules please feel free to contact myself or another mentor.

5. Nov 10, 2017 #25

mfb

2016 Award

As discussed before already, the orbit of Earth is very stable, especially over human timescales. The amount of sunlight coming in is well-known and doesn't change notably apart from the regular seasonal variations.

6. Nov 11, 2017 #26
    Not true. Oh sure, the visible light spectrum, the TSI, is fairly constant. There is a lot more variability in magnetic field, solar wind, IR and UV. Its not just the visible light that affects our climate.

Here is link to discussion about hurricanes and UV. It turns out there is correlation with number and severity of hurricanes with solar minima.

'Evidence linking solar variability with US hurricanes' Hodges and Elsner
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.2196/pdf

7. Dec 2, 2017 #27
    Although I usually refrain from discussion about AGW anywhere, I have to concur that there is a lot more to it than what the masses are being led to believe. The fact that it has more or less become the equivalent of a politically endorsed religion, the models have been notoriously incorrect, anyone who questions the "science" is blackballed or muzzled, that some proponents want dissenters actually jailed, and we are being fed the line that more taxes will help alleviate the problem just rings alarm bells with me.

Don't even get me started on the validity of "carbon credits", which is the equivalent of paying someone else to diet so you can overeat.

8. Dec 2, 2017 #28

Drakkith

Thread locked for moderation.

9. Dec 3, 2017 #29

Drakkith

Since multiple people have gone off topic and several problematic posts have had to be removed, I think this thread has run its course.

Thread will remain locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook