Jupiter's Moons - A Night of Stargazing from Romania

In summary, Dave is a British expat living in Romania who saw three of Jupiter's moons with the naked eye. He found it interesting that they appeared to be in a different phase than they are on Earth. He recommends binoculars or a larger scope to see them separately.
scotian280
Hi all. I'm new here but excited to be mingling with so many intelligent people.

I'm British but live in Romania (Near Brasov) and 2 nights ago I was delighted to see some of Jupiters moons with the naked eye.

I tried to get some pictures but without the right equipment it was a bit of a disaster. Here is the best one I got, Before I snapped the picture, what I could see on the screen was Jupiter and 3 moons.

I was taking the picture though double glazed windows in my bedroom so you can see the the refraction above and left of Jupiter. Interestingly though, in that refraction you can see the current phase of the planet as I was able to see with good binoculars...

Attachments

• DSC02609.JPG
    DSC02609.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 602
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I was under the impression Jupiter did not exhibit phases as seen from earth. Jupiter has always been fully illuminated whenever I have viewed it.

Maybe I'm imagining it then. I'm only using 8x40 binoculars and a camera with 200mm lens.. But that refraction in the window as well as what I was seeing though both optics looked a lot like a phase...

It was probably distortion caused by the window -I guess. You will get much better results outside.

I think binos are great to start with. Take them somewhere dark and you can see many objects. And with your digital camera and a tripod you can try some longer exposure pictures that will show you even more.

Check these out. And welcome to PF!
www.heavens-above.com
http://www.astronomie.be/registax/

Likes scotian280
I don't have a tripod yet but I set the camera up on the windowsill so It wouldn't move. When I tried long exposures (about 20 seconds) I ended up with long lines created by the planet because we are spinning too fast.. What is the optimum exposure time to get the most light but before the planet moves?

scotian280 said:
What is the optimum exposure time to get the most light but before the planet moves?

That is a tough one. The motion is constant, I'm sure you know. So the longer the exposure the blurrier (is that a word?) the image. Unless you accommodate!
There was a member on here, yesterday -I think, building a "barn door tracker" to allow longer exposures.

Jupiter is bright, so you want short exposures, not long ones -- the picture in the OP is washed-out (too long).

just to clarify objects in the OP's image ...

DSC02609a.JPG
I seriously doubt you will see any of Jupiter's moons naked eye, tho they fall within the naked eye magnitude range ... M4.5 - 5.6, their close proximity to Jupiter means they are washed out with Jupiter's brightness
Binoculars, large telephoto lens on a camera or small scope at a minimum are needed to separate them from the bright disk of Jupiter

and with any those, the moons will be very close into Jupiter and could be difficult to see being so close
Good Bino's or a larger scope will easily split the 4 Galilean moons from Jupiter so you can see them separately

here's an example from a 10 inch reflector telescope ...

Jupiter-moons.jpg

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
What you indicated is exactly what I was referring to. I looked up at Jupiter when i was going to bed and saw it was not round and that there was a little bit of extra light jutting out from the bottom left of it. Then with Binoculars (and then with confirmation with a star app on my phone) I saw that it was in fact 3 or 4 of the moons all lined up in that exact spot.

Now, that would be a cool sight! I've never seen a moon of Jupiter naked-eye (and never thought about that method), but if two or more get close together, that would definitely be a plausible way to spot them. I need to try that myself!

Slightly curiosity, slightly relevant -- are you overseas in the military, as your avatar picture would imply (not sure if you can tell me...)? Just wondering if you are in a place with exceptionally dark skies, especially compared to my bright suburban philly skies.

I am british but I live in Romania near the town of Brasov. I'm right on the south east side of it with nothing but mountains between me and Jupiter that night.

Regarding the military, I work for a private military company, spend way too much time in messed up places in the middle east and Africa.

1. What are Jupiter's moons and how many are there?

Jupiter's moons are natural satellites that orbit around the planet Jupiter. There are currently 79 known moons of Jupiter.

2. Can Jupiter's moons be seen from Romania?

Yes, Jupiter's moons can be seen from Romania with the naked eye on a clear night. However, a telescope or binoculars may be needed to see them more clearly.

3. What is the best time to observe Jupiter's moons from Romania?

The best time to observe Jupiter's moons from Romania is during a new moon or a crescent moon phase, when the sky is darker and there is less light pollution. Additionally, Jupiter is best viewed when it is at its closest point to Earth, which occurs approximately every 13 months.

4. How far away are Jupiter's moons from Earth?

The distance between Jupiter's moons and Earth varies depending on the moon's orbit, but on average, the closest moon, Io, is approximately 262,000 miles away, while the farthest moon, Callisto, is approximately 1.9 million miles away.

5. What can we learn from observing Jupiter's moons from Romania?

Studying and observing Jupiter's moons can provide valuable information about the formation and evolution of the solar system. It can also help us understand the dynamics of Jupiter's atmosphere and how it interacts with its moons. Additionally, the moons may hold potential for future exploration and colonization.