Just 2 integral problems today

• Thread starter EasyStyle4747
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve two different integrals using u-substitution. For the first integral, it involves setting e^(t-3) as u and using the substitution dt=du/e^t. For the second integral, it involves setting u=x^3 and using the substitution du=3x^2dx. The conversation also clarifies the use of u-substitution with e^something and provides a helpful tip for approaching the second integral.
EasyStyle4747
Ok, ill try to explain what i did:

integral of [square root of( e^t-3)dt]

Sorry i didn't know how to do the square roots symbol and the integral symbol. Anyways, I tried to set e^t-3 as u and then got dt=du/e^t. Then I plugged in dt and couldn't go on after that.

2. integral of x^2[e^(x^3)]dx

so uh... u substitution? but then what?

Ok basically, i think i don't know what your supposed do when u need to do a u-sub with e^something. Your help would be most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. I don't have any problem with the square root sign but is that e^(t-3) or
(e^t)-3?
If it is e^(t-3) then sqrt(e^(t-3))= (e^(t-3))^(1/2)= e^((t-3)/2). Let u= (t-3)/2 so
du= (1/2)dt or dt= 2du. The integral becomes 2 integral e^u du.

2. Yes, a substitution- seeing that "complicated" x^3 in the exponent and x^2 multiplying, you should immediately think of u= x^3 (NOT u= e^something- the e is not the problem!). Then du= 3 x^2 dx or (1/3)du= x^2 dx so the integral becomes
(1/3) integral e^u du.

Well, thinking of [tex] u = e^{x^3}[/tex] wouldn't hurt in this case regardless :rofl:

thnx, i see how the second one works now.

For the first one, its actually square root of (e^t)-3. Sorry i didnt make that clear.

Then make the substitution
[tex] e^{t}=u [/tex]
,then the substitution
[tex]u=v^{2}+3 [/tex]

Daniel.

1. What is the meaning of "integral" in the context of these problems?

In mathematics, an integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve problems related to finding the area, volume, or other quantities of curved shapes.

2. Why are there only 2 problems today?

The number of problems assigned in a day may vary depending on the complexity of the concepts being taught. In the context of integrals, it is common to have fewer problems as they can be more time-consuming and require a deeper understanding of calculus.

3. How do I know which method to use to solve an integral problem?

There are several methods for solving integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The best method to use depends on the specific problem and often requires practice and familiarity with the different techniques.

4. What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, they can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the volume of an irregularly shaped object, or the average value of a function over a given interval.

5. How can I check if my solution to an integral problem is correct?

One way to check if your solution is correct is by using an online integral calculator or a graphing calculator to compare the results. Another method is to differentiate your solution and see if it matches the original function. Additionally, you can ask your teacher or a fellow classmate to review your work and provide feedback.