Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just a cool thing to do

1. Jun 18, 2008 #1
    Has anyone ever designed and built a K'Nex custom roller coaster? I am completely addicted to doing that! I absolutely love engineering and this is a way to practice without use of any tools or money. I'd recommend you guys try it.

Oh and by the way I'm a new member. My name is Nick.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Nick.
    I've never even heard of the stuff that you're asking about, but I love 'Roller Coaster Tycoon'. It might be just a different approach to the same ideas.
  4. Jun 20, 2008 #3
    K'nex are like Legos, but they're based around sticks and...connections (k'nex) instead of matching pieces. They're pretty cool!

OH MAN! I haven't played Roller Coaster Tycoon in so long! That was an amazing game.
  5. Jun 20, 2008 #4

Gold Member

Sounds similar to the 'Tinkertoys' that I had as a child. Those were very cool too.
  6. Jun 20, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But it's just rods that ball bearings run along, you can only build things that look cool - there's no engineering like real (not movie tie-in) lego or even the ultimate - mecano.

Now I've had my grumble about the youth of today - I can go back to my armchair and my tartan blanket!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?