1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just a cool thing to do

1. Jun 18, 2008 #1
    Has anyone ever designed and built a K'Nex custom roller coaster? I am completely addicted to doing that! I absolutely love engineering and this is a way to practice without use of any tools or money. I'd recommend you guys try it.

Oh and by the way I'm a new member. My name is Nick.

~Nick

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Nick.
    I've never even heard of the stuff that you're asking about, but I love 'Roller Coaster Tycoon'. It might be just a different approach to the same ideas.

4. Jun 20, 2008 #3
    K'nex are like Legos, but they're based around sticks and...connections (k'nex) instead of matching pieces. They're pretty cool!

OH MAN! I haven't played Roller Coaster Tycoon in so long! That was an amazing game.

5. Jun 20, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Sounds similar to the 'Tinkertoys' that I had as a child. Those were very cool too.

6. Jun 20, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But it's just rods that ball bearings run along, you can only build things that look cool - there's no engineering like real (not movie tie-in) lego or even the ultimate - mecano.

Now I've had my grumble about the youth of today - I can go back to my armchair and my tartan blanket!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?