1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just A Couple Of Thermodynamics Questions Help Please!

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    Please help! I have an assignment due tomorrow, and there are two parts of questions that I cannot get :S

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A substance has an isothermal compressibility of k=-a/v and an expansivity B=2BT/v, where "a" and 'b" are constants. The equation of state is v-bT2+aP=constant (I found this equation)...If at a pressure P0, and temperature T0, the specific volume is V0, evaluate the constant.

2.We have a graph of compressibility and expansivity of copper as functions of temperature at a constant pressure of 1 atm, and the question asks to find the expansivity of copper at 1000 K and 1 atm, and compute the fractional change in volume of the copper when the pressure is isothermally increased to 1000 atm. Assume dB/dT is independent of pressure.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried so many thing and I can't figure out what to do! Can someone PLEASE help??

Thank you!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted