Is Color Perception Truly Universal?

• Thread starter ZeroChaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
If one assumes that the function is defined for all hues, then one must assume that this function maps some extra-spectral hues to spectral hues, and vice versa.In summary, The concept of "spectrum inversion" is a philosophical term used to describe a scenario where two people may perceive colors differently, but the actual frequencies of the colors remain the same. This is due to individual perception and does not change the objective nature of the colors. Additionally, the concept of "spectrum inversion" can be misleading because it does not actually invert the colors or the spectrum. Furthermore, the function used to describe "spectrum inversion" is not defined for all hues and can lead to mapping extra-spectral hues to spectral hues and vice versa.
ZeroChaos
I got two different things here so bare with me.

First let's start with colors. What if the color blue or at least the color you know as blue is really the color red to me or black to the next guy. you may see blue i may see red but i call it blue and you call it blue because its the same color as what we were always told was the color blue. We were always told that the color of grass was green and that the sky was blue and the color red was actually the color red. but it all comes down to what each one of us sees individually does it not?

Now for the universe. What if instead of expanding the universe is staying the same but everything inside of it is getting smaller? I'm sure someone has thought of that before. would it not be exactly the same as if it were expanding though? it could get infinitely small but size would only be relative to us inside this infinitely small universe.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZeroChaos said:
I got two different things here so bare with me.

First let's start with colors. What if the color blue or at least the color you know as blue is really the color red to me or black to the next guy. you may see blue i may see red but i call it blue and you call it blue because its the same color as what we were always told was the color blue. We were always told that the color of grass was green and that the sky was blue and the color red was actually the color red. but it all comes down to what each one of us sees individually does it not?
No. Colors have actual frequencies. If you have a defect that makes you perceive the color dfferently, the frequency of the color does not actually change.

1-27 FREQUENCIES AND WAVELENGTHS Compared to sound waves, the frequency of light waves is very high and the wavelength is very short. To measure these wavelengths more conveniently, a special unit of measure called an ANGSTROM UNIT, or more usually, an ANGSTROM ( ZDV GHYLVHG $QRWKHU FRPPRQ XQLW XVHG WR measure these waves is the millimicron (P ZKLFK LV RQH PLOOLRQWK RI D PLOOLPHWHU 2QH P) HTXDOV WHQ angstroms. One angstrom equals 1055-10m. Q33. What unit is used to measure the different wavelengths of light? FREQUENCIES AND COLOR For our discussion of light wave waves, we will use the millimicron measurement. The wavelength of a light determines the color of the light. Figure 1-18 indicates that light with a wavelength of 700 millimicrons is red, and that light with a wavelength of 500 millimicrons is blue-green. This illustration shows approximate wavelengths of the different colors in the visible spectrum. In actual fact, the color of light depends on its frequency, not its wavelength.

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14182/css/14182_39.htm

Now for the universe. What if instead of expanding the universe is staying the same but everything inside of it is getting smaller? I'm sure someone has thought of that before. would it not be exactly the same as if it were expanding though? it could get infinitely small but size would only be relative to us inside this infinitely small universe.
Personal theories and overly speculative posts are not allowed here.

Evo said:
No. Colors have actual frequencies. If you have a defect that makes you perceive the color dfferently, the frequency of the color does not actually change.

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14182/css/14182_39.htm

Personal theories and overly speculative posts are not allowed here.

Apeiron, I believe that you are taking a basic misconception on the OP's part and making more of it than is there.

Philosophy is stuck with the terminology of ‘spectrum inversion’, but it is potentially misleading.[10] First, a spectrum inversion scenario sounds like one which inverts either the spectrum or the colors of objects, but it actually inverts neither. In a typical spectrum inversion scenario, the spectral band 650-700nm remains red, and lemons remain yellow.[11]

Second, even when properly taken as an inversion of experiences, one might suppose that the “spectrum inversion” function corresponds to flipping the spectrum over. That is, using the traditional names for the spectral bands, one might suppose the function maps red to violet, orange to indigo, yellow to blue, green to green, blue to yellow, indigo to orange, and violet to red. However, this is not the usual sort of inversion scenario (red is not mapped to green, for example). Further, this function is not defined for all hues. Many hues — in particular, a large range of “extra-spectral” purples — are not found in the spectrum.

I would approach this question from a scientific perspective and provide evidence and research to support my response.

The question of whether color perception is truly universal is a complex one and the answer is not clear cut. While there are certain universal aspects of color perception, such as the basic color categories that are shared across cultures, there are also variations in color perception among individuals and cultures.

Firstly, it is important to understand that color perception is a complex process that involves both biology and culture. Our eyes have specialized cells called cones that are responsible for detecting color and sending signals to the brain. However, the brain also plays a crucial role in interpreting these signals and assigning meaning to colors. This is influenced by cultural and environmental factors, such as language and social norms.

Studies have shown that while there are universal aspects of color perception, such as the ability to differentiate between different colors, there are also cultural variations in how colors are perceived and categorized. For example, some cultures may have more or fewer color categories than others, and some may use different words to describe the same color.

Additionally, there is evidence that color perception can be affected by individual differences, such as genetics and past experiences. This means that even within the same culture, individuals may perceive colors differently.

As for the idea that the universe may be staying the same but everything inside it is getting smaller, this is not supported by scientific evidence. The expansion of the universe is a well-established theory supported by observations such as the redshift of galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation. While there are still mysteries surrounding the exact nature of the universe, the evidence strongly suggests that it is indeed expanding.

In conclusion, while there are universal aspects of color perception, it is also influenced by cultural and individual factors. As for the universe, the scientific evidence points to its expansion rather than everything inside it getting smaller. As scientists, it is important to approach these questions with an open mind and continue to gather evidence and research to better understand these complex topics.

1. What is color perception?

Color perception is the ability of the human brain to interpret the wavelengths of light that are reflected off of objects as different colors.

2. Is color perception truly universal?

There is ongoing debate among scientists about whether color perception is truly universal. Some argue that there are cultural and environmental influences that can affect how colors are perceived, while others suggest that there are universal aspects of color perception that are common across all humans.

3. What evidence supports the idea of universal color perception?

One of the main pieces of evidence that supports the idea of universal color perception is the fact that all humans have the same basic visual system, with the same types of color receptors in the eye. Additionally, studies have shown that people from different cultures are able to match colors and perceive color gradients in similar ways.

4. What are some arguments against the idea of universal color perception?

Some scientists argue that there are cultural and linguistic factors that can influence how colors are perceived. For example, some cultures may have different words or categories for colors, which could impact how individuals perceive and label colors. Additionally, environmental factors such as exposure to different colors in one's surroundings may also play a role in color perception.

5. How can we better understand the universality of color perception?

To better understand the universality of color perception, further research and experiments are needed. This could involve studying the color perception of individuals from different cultures and backgrounds, as well as conducting studies that control for environmental factors. Additionally, advancements in technology and brain imaging techniques can help us gain a deeper understanding of how the brain processes and interprets color information.