1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just a math question

1. Oct 30, 2006 #1
    Hey, i stumbled across a math problem thats got me stump and I was wondering if anyone can help me out. What we have are there 2 dependent variables and 1 independent variable (X,Y, and Z respectively). It looks something like this
    X = Z²*201527
    Y = Z*54794
    324634960= X + Y

What I am trying to do is find Z.

I Thought i could elimnate common variables to get an answer but I guess not, unless I am doing doing something wrong. If it helps Z must be a positive Number. Thanks for the help =)
    Oh and one thing, if possible could you make a similiar problem up? I kind of want to solve this one by myself but im not sure how to =p

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2
    Add the expressions for X and Y in terms of Z together, and then set that equal to what you know X+Y is. Then you can solve for Z, and also find X and Y if you wanted or needed to.

4. Nov 3, 2006 #3
    Hey i meant to post this the other day, but someone already solved it simply by useing the quadatric formula =p. Im surprised that didn't stick out. Well thanks anyways =D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?