Conservation of Momentum and Inelastic Collisions

• Thread starter dominus96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, momentum is a physical quantity that describes an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. Momentum is related to force through Newton's second law of motion. Real-life examples of momentum problems include collisions, rocket propulsion, and sports. It is also important in understanding the motion of vehicles.
dominus96

Homework Statement

Two identical objects, A and B, both with the same mass of M, move in the same direction (right) on a horizontal, frictionless surface. Object A is to the left of object B, and is moving at velocity 3V, while object B is moving at velocity V, so A will eventually collide with B.

a) Determine the total momentum of this system, in terms of M and V.

b) Assuming the collision is inelastic, what is the speed of the two objects after colliding?

Homework Equations

P=MV

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it's inelastic, the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. But I don't know how to apply 2 masses since I'm only used to doing one.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump, anyone please help?

For part a, simply write out the total momentum and plug M, V, and 3V into their respective components. The mass of each object is the same, so this helps to simpyify the equation. For part b, we have an inelastic collision, this means that the objects stick to each other, so kinetic energy is not conserved. However, you're told that friction does not act on the objects, and thus linear momentum will be conserved. Hint: After colliding, the two objects "stick" to each other, what does this say about their final velocity?

Ok for part b since object A is moving faster at 3V, wouldn't the 2 objects just move also at 3V after they stick?

I still don't understand whayyou mean by part a. Do I need to write like MV+M3V? Because that would simplify to M4V, which doesn't seem right.

dominus96 said:

Homework Statement

Two identical objects, A and B, both with the same mass of M, move in the same direction (right) on a horizontal, frictionless surface. Object A is to the left of object B, and is moving at velocity 3V, while object B is moving at velocity V, so A will eventually collide with B.

a) Determine the total momentum of this system, in terms of M and V.

b) Assuming the collision is inelastic, what is the speed of the two objects after colliding?

Homework Equations

P=MV

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it's inelastic, the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. But I don't know how to apply 2 masses since I'm only used to doing one.
No, that's not right. First off, the problem is not worded properly, so i can only assume that this is a totally inelastic collision, that is, the objects stick together when they collide. Momentum is always conserved during collisions, whether they are completely elastic, inelastic, or totally (completely) inelastic. Kinetic energy is conserved only in completely elastic collisions. All you need to know for this problem is the conservation of momentum equation.

dominus96 said:
Ok for part b since object A is moving faster at 3V, wouldn't the 2 objects just move also at 3V after they stick?

Not at 3V no, but they would have the same final velocity. Can you show me the equation you would use to solve for the final velocity?

dominus96 said:
I still don't understand whayyou mean by part a. Do I need to write like MV+M3V? Because that would simplify to M4V, which doesn't seem right.

You've got it. Why doesn't this seem right to you?

According to conservation of momentum M*3V + M*V = MV1 + MV2
Since collision is inelastic , coefficient of retitution e = (V2-V1)/(3V-V). Using these two equations find V1 and V2

rl.bhat said:
According to conservation of momentum M*3V + M*V = MV1 + MV2
Since collision is inelastic , coefficient of retitution e = (V2-V1)/(3V-V). Using these two equations find V1 and V2

V1 and V2 will be the same, and they can be found by the first equation in your post.

Thank you guys I figured it out. There is a second part to the question that I could quickly use help on also:

a) Suppose the 2 objects perform a perfect elastic collision instead, so object A bounces back to the left. Object B now increases speed from V to 2.5V. What is the speed of object A after the collision?

b) What is the kinetic energy lost during this collision?

dominus96 said:
Thank you guys I figured it out. There is a second part to the question that I could quickly use help on also:

a) Suppose the 2 objects perform a perfect elastic collision instead, so object A bounces back to the left. Object B now increases speed from V to 2.5V. What is the speed of object A after the collision?

b) What is the kinetic energy of this collision?

You'll want to use the first equation for conservation of momentum in rl.bhat's post. Now you know the final velocity of B, and only have one unknown, the final velocity of A.

Edit: To find the loss of kinetic energy, you'll want to find the initial kinetic energy of the system (A and B) and the final kinetic energy of the system, and take the difference between the two. The initial kinetic energy would have the form [tex] K_0 = .5(m_A + m_B)(v_{A0} + v_{B0})^2 [/tex]. But don't forget that you'll be dealing with a negative velocity after the collision.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, what about part b?

The hint on part b is in my edited post above. I have to get to bed, good luck! :)

Ty very much.

b) What is the kinetic energy lost during this collision?

In the perfect elastic collision, e = 1. Hence after collision VB - VA = 2V. Before collision we have VB + VA = 4V. Solving these two equations we get VA = V and VB = 3V. And there is no loss of KE.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the formula p = mv. The SI unit for momentum is kilogram meters per second (kg m/s).

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

4. How is momentum related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force (F) is equal to the change in an object's momentum (Δp) over time (Δt). This can be represented by the equation F = Δp/Δt.

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum problems?

Some examples of momentum problems include collisions between objects, rocket propulsion, and sports such as bowling or billiards. Momentum is also important in understanding the motion of vehicles, such as cars and trains.