Hello Guys: Angle of Incidence & Emergent Ray - Compare & Answer Problems

• Thread starter franz32
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about comparing the angles of incidence and the emergent ray when light passes through a glass plate. The answer is that they are equal and to solve for other angles, one can extend the rays on a sketch and use geometry. It is also mentioned to use the complement of the given angle as the angle of incidence. Franz suggests looking up the index of refraction and Snell's law for further understanding.
franz32
Hello guys!

I hope someone can help me here...

How do I compare the angle of incidence and the angle the emergent ray makes w/ the normal when a ray of light passes from air through a glass plate? From here, I can answer my other problems...

Physics news on Phys.org
They're equal. If you need any other angles, extend the rays on your sketch and use geometry to find what you need. Remember, if they give you the angle relative to the surface to use its complement as the angle of incidence.

Banana, he is talking about light passes through glass. You are talking about light reflecting on a mirror.

Franz, Look up index of refraction and snell's law.

1. What is the angle of incidence?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which an incoming ray of light hits a surface or boundary.

2. How is the angle of incidence measured?

The angle of incidence is measured between the incident ray and the normal, which is a line perpendicular to the surface at the point of incidence.

3. What is the emergent ray?

The emergent ray is the ray of light that is reflected or refracted after passing through the surface or boundary. It is the ray that is observed or measured after the interaction with the surface.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the emergent ray?

The angle of incidence determines the angle at which the emergent ray will be reflected or refracted. The relationship between the two angles is described by Snell's Law for refraction and the law of reflection for reflection.

5. Can you explain how to solve problems involving the angle of incidence and emergent ray?

To solve problems involving the angle of incidence and emergent ray, you will need to apply the appropriate laws and equations for reflection or refraction. This involves knowing the incident angle, the refractive index of the materials involved, and the angle of the emergent ray. You can then use trigonometry or geometric principles to calculate the unknown values.