1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just a physics problem

1. May 14, 2004 #1
    Problem 18. A sample of organic material is found to contain 19 g of carbon. Based on samples of pottery found at the site, investigators believe the material is about 22922 years old.
    Estimate what percentage of the material's carbon-14 has decayed. Answer in units of %.
    Note; How do you do this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first thing you do is look up the "half-life" of carbon-14. It's probably in your text book, I'll call it "H" here. If T= H, then 1/2 or 50% of the carbon-14 has decayed. If T= 2H, then (1/2)2= 1/4 is left so 3/4 has decayed. If T= 3H, then (1/2)3 has decayed. How many times does the half-life of carbon 14 divide into 22922? (include decimal places). What is 1/2 to that power? That's how much is left. Once you know that, subtract from 1 to find what part has decayed.

4. May 14, 2004 #3
    I figured it out.

Thanks! I did what you said and got 93.8
    degrees.

5. May 16, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I do hope you meant "percent" rather than "degrees"!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?