Exploring Physics of a Punching Bag Machine

In summary, the physics of a punching bag machine is interesting. It is unclear if the system is rigid or if there is some flexing. It is also unclear if hitting the bag in the center of its moment of inertia will result in the best shot.
Tmunee
I'm not currently taking physics but I am curious as to the physics of a certain machine. You may or many not have seen it before, mostly in bars or clubs, there are punching bag machines. The best diagram i could draw is following.

______Top________________________________________________________________​
|​
|​
|​
-​
/ \​
| |​
\__/​

Any force would push the object in the left direction (<---)

Now if you were to hit it in either the top or the bottom, I would like to know where the best place would be to hit it, in order to get the most successful hit which is measured by points I am assuming by how hard the ball hits the sensor on the top. Any help would be greatly appretiated, and just let me know if I need to be more specific. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that you will get the best shot if the bag stays in line with the chain as both rotate up. You can try pushing on the bag and holding it out at an angle to see where on the bag is the balance point to have it at the same angle as the chain. My guess is that it will be a little below center on the bag, but I need to think about why for a bit...

How big is the bag (WxH), and how long is the chain?

its not on a chain, its on more of a metal rod. And the width is about 24 inches and the height is probably 36 - 48 inches.

Is the system of the rod and bag rigid? Or if you hit the bag at different heights, is there some flexing of the system that seems to rob energy? If flexing robs energy, then it seems like hitting it where you get the least flexing would work best. That would be in the center of the moment of inertia I think (whatever that means...). If the system is completely rigid, then it seems like hitting it where you deliver your impulse most efficiently time-wise would be the best. That is, your punch has a certain speed profile, and if you can hit the bag where your punch is just finishing as the bag leaves your hand, then you've done the best you can at delivering the energy. Interesting problem.

its probably the size of the beachball bout probably like 5 lbs.

berkeman said:
If flexing robs energy, then it seems like hitting it where you get the least flexing would work best. That would be in the center of the moment of inertia I think (whatever that means...).
You may be thinking of the center of percussion. That would be a bit tough to come up with since the bag is deformable. But a good rough guess could be possible.

okay thanks

1. How does a punching bag machine work?

The punching bag machine works by using a combination of gravity and force to create a realistic punching experience. The bag is attached to a spring or hydraulic system that allows it to move and absorb the impact of a punch. The machine also has sensors and a computer program that measures the force of the punch and displays it on a screen.

2. What is the purpose of a punching bag machine?

The main purpose of a punching bag machine is to provide a safe and controlled environment for people to practice their punching skills and improve their physical fitness. It can also be used for training in martial arts, boxing, and other combat sports.

3. How is the force of a punch measured on a punching bag machine?

The force of a punch is measured through a combination of acceleration and deceleration sensors. These sensors detect the speed and direction of the punch, and a computer program calculates the force based on these measurements. The force is usually displayed in pounds or kilograms on the machine's screen.

4. Can a punching bag machine accurately simulate a real punch?

While a punching bag machine can mimic the movement and impact of a real punch, it may not be able to fully replicate the experience. Factors such as the weight and movement of the bag, as well as the accuracy of the sensors, can affect the accuracy of the simulation. However, the machine can still provide a useful and challenging workout for users.

5. Is a punching bag machine safe for everyone to use?

Generally, punching bag machines are safe for most people to use. However, it is important to follow the instructions and safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. It is also recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before using the machine, especially if you have any pre-existing medical conditions or injuries.