Solving the Equation x = (1.66x10^28)/(sin^3(45)) for Binary Star Mass

• Thread starter lagwagon555
  • Start date
In summary, the equation x = (1.66x10^28)/(sin^3(45)) is given as part of an assignment involving the calculation of the mass of a binary star using the sin^3 method. The question asks for guidance on solving the equation, with the solution involving simply calculating x with a calculator.
lagwagon555

Homework Statement

Solve the equation x = (1.66x10^28)/(sin^3(45))

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is really non existent, since I haven't had to work with sin^3 before, I haven't even seen it before this assignment. Basiclly I'm working out the mass of a binary star using the sin^3 method, and this is the last stage. The rest of the question has nothing to do with this bit I'm stuck on, so I don't think it's worth posting. Can anyone tell me how I'd go about solving this equation? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
lagwagon555 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the equation x = (1.66x10^28)/(sin^3(45))

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is really non existent, since I haven't had to work with sin^3 before, I haven't even seen it before this assignment. Basiclly I'm working out the mass of a binary star using the sin^3 method, and this is the last stage. The rest of the question has nothing to do with this bit I'm stuck on, so I don't think it's worth posting. Can anyone tell me how I'd go about solving this equation? Thanks!

Isn't [tex]sin^3(A) = sin(A)*sin(A)*sin(A)[/tex] ?

http://thesaurus.maths.org/mmkb/entry.html?action=entryById&id=2723

You should be able to just calculate x with your calculator, I believe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, not my brightest moment ever. Thanks for clearing that up!

1. How do you solve an equation with sin^3?

To solve an equation with sin^3, you can use the trigonometric identity sin^3x = (3/4)sinx - (1/4)sin3x. This will help you reduce the equation to a simpler form and solve for the variable.

2. What is the difference between sin^3 and sin^2?

The difference between sin^3 and sin^2 is that sin^3 involves taking the cube of the sine function, while sin^2 involves squaring the sine function. This means that sin^3 will have a higher degree polynomial and may result in more complex equations.

3. Can you use the power rule to differentiate sin^3?

Yes, you can use the power rule to differentiate sin^3. The derivative of sin^3x is 3sin^2x cosx.

4. How do you graph an equation with sin^3?

To graph an equation with sin^3, you can use a graphing calculator or plot points by substituting different values for the variable and calculating the corresponding y-values. Remember to include the amplitude, period, and phase shift when graphing trigonometric equations.

5. What are some real-life applications of equations with sin^3?

Equations with sin^3 have various real-life applications, such as modeling the motion of a pendulum, analyzing sound waves, and predicting the tides. They are also commonly used in engineering, physics, and astronomy.