Just a quick question about v vs. t graphs

• Thread starter Lloydsgurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the conversation is about constructing a qualitative and quantitatively accurate velocity vs. time graph for a physics class assignment. To solve for the quantitative graph, numerical values for both the velocity and time axes must be included. The process for constructing the graph involves calculating the slope or area under the curve depending on the given data.
Lloydsgurl
We've been working on acceleration and velocity in my physics class and I've got a question about velocity vs. time graphs. My assignment asks me to:
A. construct a qualitative graph for v vs. t
B. construct a quantitatively accurate v vs. t graph
I'm pretty sure I know how to solve A because it's what we've been doing in class, but how would I solve B/what would it look like?

I don't think my question requires me to actually write the problem, but if I need to I can. Any help for this (ridiculously) simple question?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Quantatively accurate" means that the velocity axis,
and the time axis, both need to have numerical values on them.

If you are starting with a known (quantitative) x vs t graph,
you'll have to calculate the velocity for each segment of motion
by computing the slope (rise/run).

If you're starting with a known (quantitative) a vs t graph,
you'll have to compute the area under the curve up till each time
(typically by counting "boxes" on the graph paper).

Thank you so much!

What is a v vs. t graph?

A v vs. t graph, also known as a velocity vs. time graph, is a visual representation of the relationship between an object's velocity and time. It plots the velocity of an object on the y-axis and the time on the x-axis.

How do you interpret a v vs. t graph?

The slope of a v vs. t graph represents the object's acceleration, with a steeper slope indicating a higher acceleration. The area under the curve represents the object's displacement, with a larger area indicating a greater displacement.

What are some common shapes of v vs. t graphs?

Some common shapes of v vs. t graphs include a straight line, a horizontal line, a parabola, and a curve. The shape of the graph depends on the object's motion, with a straight line representing constant velocity, a horizontal line representing no velocity, a parabola representing constant acceleration, and a curve representing changing acceleration.

What is the difference between a v vs. t graph and a d vs. t graph?

A v vs. t graph shows the relationship between an object's velocity and time, while a d vs. t graph shows the relationship between an object's displacement and time. The slope of a v vs. t graph represents acceleration, while the slope of a d vs. t graph represents velocity. Additionally, the area under the curve on a v vs. t graph represents displacement, while the area under the curve on a d vs. t graph represents change in displacement.

How can v vs. t graphs be used to analyze motion?

V vs. t graphs can be used to determine an object's acceleration, displacement, and velocity at different points in time. They can also be used to compare the motion of different objects and identify patterns and trends in their motion.