Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just a quick question

  1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    how do you type in,

    tan-1(-5/2) (or any negative number)

    on the calculator?? or just work it out?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Are you talking about the (-5/2)? Most calculators have a separate key for that, which usually has something like "(-)" printed on it (a short dash in parentheses), rather than the normal (longer) minus sign "[itex]{}-{}[/itex]".

    If you are referring to the -1: there should again be a separate key. On my TI calculator it is Second + Tan, just find where is says tan-1, atan, arctan, or something like that. Note that you should consider "tan-1" as a single function, it's not something like x-1 = 1/x, for which you can write in general x-n = 1/xn. Instead, it is defined by tan-1(tan(x)) = x.
  4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    Yeah I got it, thanks alot!! it was(+/-)

    I spent a full hour trying to figure that out lol..:redface:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook