Just a quick question

• Thread starter Altami
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A compound MF6 (the 6 being a subscript) contains 32.38% F by mass what is identity of M?

Homework Equations

What is identity of M?

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to start...sorry. If someone can give me tips, on how to do it, that way I can learn. Thanks!

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A compound MF6 (the 6 being a subscript) contains 32.38% F by mass what is identity of M?

Homework Equations

What is identity of M?

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to start...sorry. If someone can give me tips, on how to do it, that way I can learn. Thanks!

What have you learned in Chem so far?

Do you know what M, F and MF6 are?

Here's a push in the right direction.

I have one large fruit of unknown type and unknown mass, and six apples in my (massless) fruit basket.
I know how much the apples mass individually, and I've been told that, together, they comprise 32.38% of the mass of my entire fruit basket.
The remaining % of the fruit basket is going to be the mass of the mystery fruit.

Last edited:
What have you learned in Chem so far?

Do you know what M, F and MF6 are?

Here's a push in the right direction.

I have one large fruit of unknown type and unknown mass, and six apples in my (massless) fruit basket.
I know how much the apples mass individually, and I've been told that, together, they comprise 32.38% of the mass of my entire fruit basket.
The remaining % of the fruit basket is going to be the mass of the mystery fruit.

Wait I got 238.04 which would be Uranium right M=Uranium. If you can just verify this.

Last edited:
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Wait I got 238.04 which would be Uranium right M=Uranium. If you can just verify this.

Show your work.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Moderator's note:

Altami, please show your work if you wish to get help.