1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just a small doubt

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    When two objects are tied to some two ends of a string on a pulley hung on a surface, the normal force applied by the surface on the pulley is twice the tension of the string. Why is this so?
    Infact one of the questions had such a pulley hung on a pulley with the help of a string whose other end is tied to a object. The question was to find the acceleration of all the three objects and I found the relative (to pulley) acceleration of first two objects. Now this pulley was given to be massless. So I thought the mass on this side should be taken as the sum of the two masses tied while finding the acceleration of pulley. This resulted in approaching a wrong answer. However when the mass was taken to be 2T/g where t is the tension on the string and g is the acceleration due to gravity my answer was perfect. I didn't understand the concept behind this. I mean what about those masses
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The strings are pulling the pulley down with a force with contributions from each string. But since the pulley is not accelerating downward, there must be a compensating force of the same magnitude and opposite direction coming from the place where it is hung.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?