Grapes, Atoms & Humans: A Macro-Micro Perspective

• Thread starter Dezepar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of magnifying objects to the size of the Earth and contemplating the scale of atoms. The participants also touch on the limitations of human perception and the possibility of different realities based on size. They also mention the potential benefits and discoveries that could come from being able to observe matter at a smaller scale in real time. The conversation also delves into the concepts of infinity and possibility.
Dezepar
I once read that if we were to "magnify" a basketball to the size of the earth, that one of its atoms would be approximately the size of a grape. With that thought in mind, and begging the mercy of the gurus here :), Try this:
What fascinates me is the thought of a human being, for instance, being fundamentally a conglomerate of several hundred billion atoms, in a soup of potentially infinite atoms. (Or Quarks, or whatever if you're picky)I'm just curious to see what other people can conceptualize about what a human being might look like carrying out normal every day tasks, if its atoms were the size of say, a B-B in relation to us, and we, by some miracle could see it real time.

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place.

Sorry. I'm new!

Physics news on Phys.org
Intaresting thought.

Because you would still be big enough not to be affected by fundamental particle physics, I would think that everything would still be quite normal.

Now depending upon wether you shrunk or the atoms grew would matter, because if you shrunk than photons (or the wave if you want to get technical) would be to large for you to see anything.

(Again, advanced apologies, for length of this post and possible incorrect placement, as its probably more imaginative than scientific. I will not be offended if this post is moved, and I'm berated for it. Lol.)
Thank you Stryker for the prompt reply. You hit on part of what I expected in a reply to this.
Now depending upon wether you shrunk or the atoms grew would matter, because if you shrunk than photons (or the wave if you want to get technical) would be to large for you to see anything.
Obviously, 'Humans' have very limited perceptual abilitys, and we can liken our tools to stone knives in comparison to the grand scale of investigatable data. But even though our tools can't truthfully describe or define the subatomic universe, it still exists. That we have definitive proof of. There really are billions of conglomerates of grape sized atoms carrying on through everyday life. Humans, with our strictly governed senses, are living in a drastically altered reality. Which brings me to my next point. Light is thought of as a constant, c. No matter the relative position, or speed of the observing party. We study the behaviour of quantum universes stubbornly thinking that we will find an indivisible 'God Particle' that can be no smaller. We believe that we will find the 'absolute' in nature while the laws we obey to study and observe it are contradictary. For instance, "nothing can travel the speed of light or faster, except light." Because at the speed of light or near it, mass would be infinite. And infinite mass is impossible. "Nothing can be absolute zero." For this would mean particles would be at rest. Impossible. These ideas are by definition, infinitive. Now to tie in a part of Stryker's reply, that the photons would be 'too big' to 'see', just as it may be we are 'too big' to properly observe the subatomic universe, imagine that we could shrink ourselves to the point where atoms were the size of grapes. Wouldn't 'nature' simply adjust your relative perception of reality, and in turn, the 'grape sized' atoms would no longer be observable by the standards and tools that would be available to you in your shrunken state, nor would the subatomic universe that would be relative to your mass. In this state, you could build new laboratories, and particle accelerators, and all the tools your unshrunken colleagues would be using. But not really studying anything new. Same particle physics, different reality. In this light, the idea of matter, (and the lack of it) having the potential of being infinitely small or large, seems obvious. Modern science seems to shy away from things that are infinite, and expend great energy to disprove the infinitive. But from where I stand, it seems 'impossible' for infinity, amongst other modern day 'impossibilities' to NOT exist, thus making 'possibility' an absolute.
Preparing for immediate ejection from this forum...

I think this would be a great idea, not just for the human body, maybe just for simpler molecules, or just to explore the surface of bulk materials, see phase transformations on real time. Maybe we will see something completely different of what we imagine right now. My "perception" of the behaivour of matter is strongly based on models that are created to "view" o simplify reality.

Utopic, but again, very interesting.

Utopic, but again, very interesting.
Utopic, yes. And no. 'Seeing' cellular mitosis (I'm guessing of course that the idea came before the discovery) at one time must have been thought of as utopic. I seem to view it as a 'possible' point of view that has yet to be realized. What weight would it have on science? Not sure. But to observe a complex being, or even just a molecule as you mention AHolico, in its atomic/subatomic state of existence real time, would be at minimum, astronomically helpful, if not scientifically weighty.

I have to actually berate myself here. This should probably be in philosophy.

1. What is the connection between grapes, atoms, and humans?

The connection between grapes, atoms, and humans is that they are all made up of microscopic particles. Grapes are composed of molecules, which are made up of atoms. Atoms, in turn, are made up of subatomic particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. Humans are also made up of molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles, which are the building blocks of our cells, tissues, and organs.

2. How are grapes and atoms similar?

Grapes and atoms are similar in that they are both composed of smaller units. Grapes are made up of molecules, which are made up of atoms. Similarly, atoms are made up of subatomic particles. Both grapes and atoms have a complex structure and contain different types of particles that work together to form a larger unit.

3. What is the significance of studying grapes, atoms, and humans together?

Studying grapes, atoms, and humans together provides a macro-micro perspective, which allows us to understand the connections and relationships between these three seemingly different things. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental building blocks of the natural world, from the smallest subatomic particles to the complex structures of living organisms.

4. Can studying grapes, atoms, and humans help us in other fields of science?

Yes, studying grapes, atoms, and humans can have implications in various fields of science. For example, understanding the structure of atoms can help us develop new materials and technologies, while understanding the biological processes of grapes and humans can aid in the advancement of medicine and agriculture. Additionally, studying these three subjects together can lead to new insights and discoveries in fields such as chemistry, biology, and physics.

5. How do grapes, atoms, and humans interact with each other?

Grapes, atoms, and humans interact with each other in various ways. At the atomic level, the atoms in grapes and humans interact through chemical reactions, which allow us to digest and metabolize the nutrients in grapes. On a larger scale, humans interact with grapes by consuming them as food. Grapes also play a role in the ecosystem by providing a food source for animals and contributing to the nutrient cycle. Ultimately, all three entities are interconnected and play a role in the natural world.