Solve the Mystery of the Rabbit Tanaka Mini Orbiter

• Thread starter mjfish
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a toy called the mini orbiter by Rabbit Tanaka, which is no longer made. The toy has a top portion of planets that spins in one direction while the sun and bottom planets spin in the opposite direction. It is motorized and uses gears to achieve this motion, with a single pole or drive shaft being unable to achieve the opposite direction rotation. Concentric shafts, like in a wall clock or car stereo, are able to achieve this type of motion.
mjfish
Please help me understand how this toy works...top portion of planets spins one way while the sun and bottom planets spin the opposite...both seem to be on the same drive...

The toy is no longer made but is called the mini orbiter by rabbit tanaka
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think so but not expert on that. It's a motorized toy so I'm assuming gears are used but not sure how a single pole or drive shaft can get rotating bodies in the opposite direction.

mjfish said:
I don't think so but not expert on that. It's a motorized toy so I'm assuming gears are used but not sure how a single pole or drive shaft can get rotating bodies in the opposite direction.
A single shaft can't do that. Concentric shafts can.
For examples you'll be familiar with, look at how the hands of a wall clock can move at different rates (They could rotate in opposite directions if the gearing was arranged differently) or the concentric volume and balance/tone dials on older car stereos.

Yes perfect I figured was a shaft inside another but didn't know terminology or much about that. Thanks for the input got it all figured out!

1. What is the Rabbit Tanaka Mini Orbiter?

The Rabbit Tanaka Mini Orbiter is a small, unmanned spacecraft designed to orbit the Earth and collect scientific data. It is named after its creator, Dr. Koji Rabbit Tanaka.

2. How does the Rabbit Tanaka Mini Orbiter work?

The Mini Orbiter uses solar panels to power its onboard instruments, which collect data on various aspects of the Earth's atmosphere and surface. It also has a propulsion system that allows it to adjust its orbit and remain in space for extended periods of time.

3. What kind of data does the Rabbit Tanaka Mini Orbiter collect?

The Mini Orbiter collects data on atmospheric conditions such as temperature, pressure, and composition. It also collects data on the Earth's surface, including land use, vegetation, and ocean currents.

4. How long has the Rabbit Tanaka Mini Orbiter been in operation?

The Mini Orbiter has been in operation since 2015, when it was first launched into orbit. It has since completed multiple orbits and continues to collect valuable data for scientific research.

5. What impact has the Rabbit Tanaka Mini Orbiter had on scientific understanding?

The Mini Orbiter has provided scientists with a wealth of data on the Earth's atmosphere and surface, contributing to a better understanding of our planet and its changing climate. It has also paved the way for future miniaturized spacecraft and advanced space exploration technology.