Is ]-∞, ∞[ the Same as All Real Numbers?

• Thread starter syukai
  • Start date
In summary: But if you did mean to write it that way then you are right, I have no idea why anyone would write x \in ]-∞, ∞ [ instead of x \in \mathbb{R}In summary, ]-∞, ∞[ (can also be written as -∞<x<∞) means all real numbers. However, it is more commonly written as x \in \mathbb{R} or (-∞, ∞) to avoid confusion. The notation ]-∞, ∞[ is rarely used and may vary in different countries.
syukai
Does ]-∞, ∞[ (can also be written as -∞<x<∞) mean all real numbers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
]-∞, ∞[

Never seen it written like that I would be more inclined to write :
[-∞, ∞] or more commonly me thinks (-∞, ∞) - to show that this is open

When you write -∞<x<∞ I guess the most common assumption is that x is contained in the reals but without context it really isn't smart to assume anything. Usually someone will specifically state x contained in the reals and -∞<x<∞ - or x contained in the integers and -∞<x<∞ or the set that x belongs to will be clear from the context.

(Sorry for not responding with yes or no but hopefully you understand why I could not)

If the brackets are facing outwards ][ then they're supposed to mean the points are excluded.
If the brackets are facing inwards [] then they're supposed to mean the points are included.
At least, that's what I was told, and that's what I read in my textbook.

Anyway, yes, I see your point. Another number with the answer of "all real numbers" simply showed the symbol for it, so I'm pretty wary of assuming that -∞<x<∞ means "all real numbers" as well.

Thank you for your input though. :)

I think the ] [ notation is used in other countries other than US.

syukai said:

In general, I'd say yes. But, it's normally easier to write something like [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]

NoMoreExams said:
I think the ] [ notation is used in other countries other than US.

Must be, in the US we typically use () to show open, and [] to show closed.

yes that's exactly what that notation means and pretty much the only legit use of the symbol ∞

Aaaah, thanks. I asked my math teacher before I read the last few posts, and confirmed that the answer is yes as well. :)

You say

first of all there is a difference between ]-∞, ∞[ and -∞<x<∞, the first is all the real numbers, the second is the same as [itex]x \in ]-∞, ∞[ [/itex]. You are right that ]-∞, ∞[ is all the real numbers, but an interval is defined from the real numbers, so that notation is rarely used.

mrandersdk said:
You say

first of all there is a difference between ]-∞, ∞[ and -∞<x<∞, the first is all the real numbers, the second is the same as [itex]x \in ]-∞, ∞[ [/itex]. You are right that ]-∞, ∞[ is all the real numbers, but an interval is defined from the real numbers, so that notation is rarely used.

the itex tags are misrepresenting your point. I view it as x in ] -8743, 8743 [

But what you actially wrote was x \in ]-∞, ∞ [ with itex tags.

1. What is a "Just a Yes or No Question"?

A "Just a Yes or No Question" is a type of question that can only be answered with a simple "yes" or "no" response. It often requires a direct and concise answer without any explanation or elaboration.

2. How do you formulate a "Just a Yes or No Question"?

To formulate a "Just a Yes or No Question", you must make sure that the question can only be answered with a "yes" or "no" response. This can be achieved by using question words like "do", "are", "will", "can", etc. and avoiding open-ended phrases or leading questions.

3. What are some examples of "Just a Yes or No Questions"?

Some examples of "Just a Yes or No Questions" include "Do you like chocolate?", "Are you feeling better?", "Will you be attending the meeting?", and "Can I borrow your pen?". These questions can only be answered with a "yes" or "no" response.

4. Why are "Just a Yes or No Questions" important in research?

"Just a Yes or No Questions" are important in research because they help to gather specific and direct information. They can also save time and effort by avoiding lengthy explanations or discussions. In addition, they can be useful in statistical analysis and data interpretation.

5. Can "Just a Yes or No Questions" be biased?

Yes, "Just a Yes or No Questions" can be biased if they are leading or contain assumptions. For example, asking "Don't you agree that this is the best option?" implies that the questioner believes it is the best option and may influence the respondent's answer. It is important to formulate neutral and unbiased "Just a Yes or No Questions" in scientific research.