Just back from a short walk, for you snow bound east coasters

In summary, the conversation mainly revolves around pictures of flowers and the weather in different locations. The highest point in the Oregon Coast Range, Marys Peak, is mentioned along with a picture of it. The owner of the photos also shares pictures of their front yard and other flowers in their neighborhood. The conversation also delves into the number of petals on flowers and jokes about the weather and lifestyle in different places. There is also a brief argument about offensive comments, which is later resolved.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is Marys Peak, about 20mi west, and the highest point in the Oregon Coast Range
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/Maryspeak.jpg [Broken]

My front yard, it ought to be a lot better in a day or 2
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/Magnolia.jpg [Broken]

The rest are just in the neighborhood
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/dafodill2.jpg [Broken]
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/crocus.jpg [Broken]
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/bush.jpg [Broken]
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/bud.jpg [Broken]
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/blossm.jpg [Broken]
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/rody.jpg [Broken]
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/blossom2.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
this is the second time a flower has pissed me off today. i read something in either Discover or Scientific American that said almost all flowers' number of petals followed the fibonocci series. but those yellow ones have 6 and two out of the three species of flowers I stepped on today had 4. I've amazed people with that tid bit of knowledge which turns out to be true only if you Loosely interpret "almost all"
ps, looks chilly. I'm hanging out in 80 degree weather here.

Yeah, we had all the flowers blooming here too... then we were hit by an over 30-yr record of snow. Good, since all the musquitos should be dead by now :biggrin:

your house just doesn't look right without a basketball hoop over the garage.
I got to admit though I would love living there. It looks peaceful. My neighborhood is only peaceful when the crack addicts and hookers take a vacation.

Last edited:
I guess 65-70 is chilly, seemed pretty nice to me.

IIRC moncots have 3 or multibles dicots have 4 or multibles, not sure what they were the Fibonocci series enters.

wait, that's not your house is it?

just the green tips of spring flowers pokeing through here...sighs...

tribdog said:
your house just doesn't look right without a basketball hoop over the garage.
I got to admit though I would love living there. It looks peaceful. My neighborhood is only peaceful when the crack addicts and hookers take a vacation.
It seems that the modern trend is for a portable, height adjustable hoop on the side walk. I am not much of a bball player so there is no hoop at my place.

I should apologize. It looks beaufiful there. I'm grouchy from not having a cigarette in several days.

Its sunshine, and bikini sunbathing weather out here :tongue2: :tongue2:

In fact, they were in bikini's right under my window earlier today :tongue2:

franznietzsche said:

Yeah, one of those flowers blossomed across the street, my respect of privacy disallowed a pic.

tribdog said:
this is the second time a flower has pissed me off today. i read something in either Discover or Scientific American that said almost all flowers' number of petals followed the fibonocci series. but those yellow ones have 6 and two out of the three species of flowers I stepped on today had 4. I've amazed people with that tid bit of knowledge which turns out to be true only if you Loosely interpret "almost all"
ps, looks chilly. I'm hanging out in 80 degree weather here.

Tribdog, YOU piss me off. Some of your 'jokes' arn't funny at all and offensive to add.

Watch your mouth.

Bladibla said:
Tribdog, YOU piss me off. Some of your 'jokes' arn't funny at all and offensive to add.

Watch your mouth.
What did he say that deserves this?

I'm sorry bladibla. I didn't mean to offend you. Now I feel horrible. You are the one person here who's respect I truly crave. I shall make an effort to live up to your standards of both morality and humor.
ps if some aren't funny does that mean some are?
pss try reading a bit further next time. I have already apologized for my comments and really don't need you to police me.

Integral said:
What did he say that deserves this?

I believe that saying what is shown for a good purpose (i.e. your flowers) to 'piss them off' is just bad attitude. Either they speak nicely, or don't speak at all.

Not to rain on your parade, if you'll forgive the ironic pun, but this is going to cost us big this summer. We need rain! Still, what a beautiful day. You got to love it right now.

Great pictures Integral! Just the very beginning of buds here.

tribdog said:
I'm sorry bladibla. I didn't mean to offend you. Now I feel horrible. You are the one person here who's respect I truly crave. I shall make an effort to live up to your standards of both morality and humor.
ps if some aren't funny does that mean some are?
pss try reading a bit further next time. I have already apologized for my comments and really don't need you to police me.

No, I'm not policing you, not at all. Why do you feel like that when you have all the free will to post what you think is funny? Why should my comments matter?

And no, it doesn't mean some ARE funny. It just means some arn't funny, some are boring, etc..

Integral said:
Yeah, one of those flowers blossomed across the street, my respect of privacy disallowed a pic.

hehe, blossoming indeed. :tongue2:

Bladibla said:
And no, it doesn't mean some ARE funny. It just means some arn't funny, some are boring, etc..
lol, good burn. That's my favorite kind of comment to anything I say.

I saw the first crocus bloom in my yard today, and then we got snow, and the bloom is now probably frozen and will be on the ground tomorrow. Someone named flowers wrong...it's the crocuses that should be named impatiens, they never seem to wait for the weather to be warm enough for me to enjoy them before they bloom. :frown:

lol, from what you just described crocus sounds like a very good name.

Ivan Seeking said:
Not to rain on your parade, if you'll forgive the ironic pun, but this is going to cost us big this summer. We need rain! Still, what a beautiful day. You got to love it right now.
This is very true. I felt a need to record some of this unseasonal weather, the fact remains, we need our rain and we need it BAD!

By the way, I have visited Ivan's beautiful home and land, it is already as dry as it normally would be in early July. The ground under the forest is actually a very thick layer of burnable organic material, normally at this time of year it is saturated with water, like a huge sponge. If we do not get enough rain to saturate this material, come the dry season, July, Aug, Sept, Ivan, Tsu, their home and everything they own will be in real danger. All it would take start an unstoppable conflagration is for a careless smoker to toss a butt out of the car window on to the forested land above their house.

Moonbear said:
I saw the first crocus bloom in my yard today, and then we got snow, and the bloom is now probably frozen and will be on the ground tomorrow. Someone named flowers wrong...it's the crocuses that should be named impatiens, they never seem to wait for the weather to be warm enough for me to enjoy them before they bloom. :frown:
I may have to post more pics of our Stellar Magnolia, it now has only a few blossoms, in a few days it ought to be covered. If this weather does not change it should be spectacular. Usually they get frozen or rained off, or both. Magnolia simply bloom to soon for our climate.

Grrrr... you people and your warm weather! :grumpy: flowers... i can't even begin to think about flowers. Its like white hurricaince here. I can'r see anything outside my window, i can't hear well cause the wind's so loud, and our windows in my dorm room aren't sealed well and its snowing in my room! :eek: We're supposed to get like a foot or something... augh! It was so warm here in feb and january, i was like 40! its below zero again and snowing now :cry: Heh... at least I'm having fun with these smilies... elsewise i'd really be a wreck :biggrin: :rolleyes:

franznietzsche said:

Aint that the best? I have a straight on view of the grassy quad from my bedroom window. The beach is about 30 miles away here, so all of the girls sunbathe in their bikinis out on the quad. It makes a very nice backdrop to typing up lab reports, reading philosophy texts, and posting here every 15 minutes.

Gale17 said:
Grrrr... you people and your warm weather! :grumpy: flowers... i can't even begin to think about flowers. Its like white hurricaince here. I can'r see anything outside my window, i can't hear well cause the wind's so loud, and our windows in my dorm room aren't sealed well and its snowing in my room! :eek: We're supposed to get like a foot or something... augh! It was so warm here in feb and january, i was like 40! its below zero again and snowing now :cry: Heh... at least I'm having fun with these smilies... elsewise i'd really be a wreck :biggrin: :rolleyes:
lol I had an apartment like that once. I could see through a brick wall and tell when someone was coming to my door, and I'm not Superman. Some of the cracks were so wide I could shoot a spitwad through it.

re Integral...

By this summer the rest of those trees above the house will be gone. I have spent enough 4th of Julys holding my breath. The darned things were little Christmas trees when we bought the place.

Last edited:
tribdog said:

Way to apologise like a girl, tribdog.

brewnog said:
LOLOLOL, shouldn't this go in the nostalgia thread.

loseyourname said:
Aint that the best? I have a straight on view of the grassy quad from my bedroom window. The beach is about 30 miles away here, so all of the girls sunbathe in their bikinis out on the quad. It makes a very nice backdrop to typing up lab reports, reading philosophy texts, and posting here every 15 minutes.

Its is the best.

Hmmm...oops, i think i just drooled out the window!

brewnog said:

Way to get yourself in trouble with the girls, brewnog. :grumpy: :biggrin:

loseyourname said:
Aint that the best? I have a straight on view of the grassy quad from my bedroom window. The beach is about 30 miles away here, so all of the girls sunbathe in their bikinis out on the quad.

We used to have a little pond surrounded by a nice lawn on campus that everyone sunbathed around (when it was warm enough to sunbathe). But, it wasn't in view of any dorms, just classrooms and labs (I suppose the sunbathers may have distracted a few guys sitting near the windows in the classrooms, but nobody ever stopped them or objected to them coming out and joining us...well, if they wore bikinis we'd probably laugh, but if they just took their shirts off to play frisbee, everyone was happy).

another Oregonian appreciating early spring...

The weather here in Oregon has been so terrific! But Ivan is right, we will pay this summer since the amount of rainfall is so low considering what we normally get. Allergies have hit me early too :mad:

Another bad thing about this early spring weather without a good hard freeze is there will be a lot more bugs. For now, I can't complain :biggrin:

Kerrie said:
Allergies have hit me early too :mad:

No kidding. ...already broke out the Claritin and at the ready with the Benedryl.

As for the bugs, I'm more worried about our skunk population this year.