Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just bought a bullseye

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    I just bought a red mitsubishi 3000gt and got pulled over twice in one day, 15 minutes apart. My friend just got pulled over in it yesterday. Mine were for going 68 in a 60 (with the flow of traffic) on the way to the beach and when we were pulling onto the beach and going 18 miles an hour, the speed limit was 15. The beach constable said we looked like we were going too fast.. Got off both with a warning though. My friend wasn't so lucky yesterday and got a ticket for his. Can't wait to see how many more times I get pulled over before I sell it in March. Last time I buy a red sportscar.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2
    Do red sportscars not have a speedometer? I don't see why the problem is with the car.

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No, he's got a point. I could do 68 in a 60 zone or 18 in a 15 zone till the cows came home and I would not be pulled over in my non-red non-sportscar.

5. Dec 11, 2009 #4
    The flow of traffic here is usally doing at least 10 over the speed limit and I haven't seen many people pulled over. Cops just like targeting sportscars for some reason. Maybe they look like they are going faster than they really are like the beach cop thought. A couple of people I work with call it my gangster car since they imagine gangsters driving it or something, maybe the cops think the same thing. :rofl: I don't know what the reason is but I was never pulled over in my life before this. And there was definately no reason for them to pull me over on the beach. I'll keep count of how many times I get pulled over and give an update in march.

6. Dec 11, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

When I owned a Nissan 240 SX, I got pulled over for ridiculously low "over the limit" speeds. And mine wasn't even red! Generally, if you get pulled over for 7mph or less, you won't get a ticket, because the judge would just throw them out and give the cops hell.

Now, I drive a sleek but chunky little SUV, and met a town cop today doing about 65 in a 55. Not even a flash of a light or a scolding blip a siren. He just kept on keepin' on.

7. Dec 11, 2009 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Knowing your neck of woods cop is your second cousin and hopes for the next batch of your habanero relish, so he won't take unnecesary risks.

8. Dec 11, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Most of them are older, and have no more influence. My cousin's husband is retired as local chief of police in our old town, another cousin's husband is retired as Deputy Sheriff, my little brother's father-in-law is retired as chief of the next-largest town, my wife's cousin's husband has retired as chief of the Maine Warden Service... I have a third-cousin who is a trooper, and my retired warden buddy's son is a warden posted far from here. No favoritism here! Nope!

I should probably start carrying chili relishes and pickles in my vehicles, though. When a cop asks what I'm doing, I could say that I was (inadvertently) rushing to an evaluation, hoping to sell my stuff, and offer to "give" him or her a sample. Could be a plan...

9. Dec 11, 2009 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I've heard people rattle off statistics about red cars having more violations. The reasoning is because they catch attention and set a mood from the officer's perspective. Never seen any research, of course.

10. Dec 11, 2009 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What are regulations about carrying a weapon in Maine?

11. Dec 11, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I'd have to get a permit to carry loaded handguns in a vehicle, but there are no laws against chili relishes. Hmm.

12. Dec 11, 2009 #11

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My personal experience:
    Red sports car: I tended to speed and got lots of tickets.
    Red SUV: Didn't drive as fast but, still got occasional tickets.
    Silver Prius: No tickets in three years.

What I found really interesting is that I got zero tickets in the SUV when I was a volunteer fireman and had a light bar on top.

13. Dec 11, 2009 #12
    Your problem is not that it's red, it's that it's a foreign make.

I've been driving a red Corvette since January, and I have not been pulled over even once yet. It's a massive hit among tweens, but cops tend to ignore me.

14. Dec 11, 2009 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Yeah, that makes sense. Makes you look like a responsible, authority figure.

They say white is the best for avoiding tickets. If you really want to make sure you never get pulled over, get one of those "I support my State Troopers" bumper stickers. Not sure if you have to make a donation to get those or what, but they work wonders.

15. Dec 11, 2009 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or get a http://www.seattlepi.com/specials/undueinfluence/326602_favorsbear07.html" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Dec 11, 2009 #15
    Does that mean no one gets pulled over for going 8 over except red sportscars?
    I have a friend who got pulled over for going 7 over and for going 8 over and doesn't drive a red sportscar. If you're speeding, the consequence is a cop may pull you over. Blaming the car makes as much sense as blaming the weather.
    Then they have a lot of people to choose from. You're just the one they caught.

17. Dec 11, 2009 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No, it means it tends to happen more with red sportcars. I think you knew that.

And when your friend did the same 7 in a different car, what happened? Oh right, you have no comparison.

Read Borg's post 11.

Precisely. They have a lot of people to choose from. And yet they tend to catch the ones in the red sportscars.

18. Dec 11, 2009 #17
    Yeah, but we already know from your other posts that you suck at driving and have no idea what you are talking about anyway.

19. Dec 11, 2009 #18
    Bahahahah... are you playing devils advocate or are you serious here.. hmm.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
  20. Dec 11, 2009 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I was trying to think of something like that myself. :rofl::rofl:

It's like that commercial on TV:
    "...and you know who's in the lane right next to me??? Yep! leroyjenkins!"
    "No way!"
    "Way!"

21. Dec 12, 2009 #20
    This thread begs the question: do babes get let off more than guys?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook