1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just can't figure this one out

1. Jul 21, 2004 #1
    Please bear with my verbosity on this one, and with the messy symbols. :yuck:

The problem states that I am to fire a projectile from some distance d above the ground (ignoring air resistance) with initial velocity v0 and initial angle θ. I am to show that between R (the maximum horizontal distance), v0, θ, and the drop d there is a relationship R sin2θ + d (1 + cos2θ) = R²/R0 where R0 ≡ v0²/g.

Well, the way I see it the range has two parts. The first part is the range R1, the horizontal distance the projectile covers in going from y=d to some ymax and then falling back to y=d. This is given by the normal
    (v0² sin2θ)/g. Then one should have to calculate the horizontal distance covered by the drop from y=d to y=0, which is simply R2=v cosθ t', where t' is the time it takes for the ball to drop from y=d to y=0. Well, at y=d the object should have velocity v0 and be falling at angle θ. To find t' I use the formula y=y0 + v0 sinθ t' - ½ g t'². Plugging in y=0 and y0=d and using the quadratic formula I get that:

t' = [v0 sinθ ± √(v0² sin²θ + 2gd)]/g.

Now, adding R1 and R2 to get R, I obtain:

R = R1+R2 = (v0² sin2θ)/g + (v0² sin2θ)/2g - [v0 cosθ √(v0² sin²θ + 2gd)]/g

or R = (3 v0² sin2θ)/2g - [v0 cosθ √(v0² sin²θ + 2gd)]/g

Well, I can't manipulate that equation to get the necessary relationship, and in a related problem utilizing the above equation didn't give me the correct answer (they asked for an maximizing angle and a v0).

The logic seems pretty sound to me, so what am I doing wrong? I've been agonizing over this for hours, so any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to PF!
    One obvious mistake you've done is in your calculation of R2:
    "at y=d the object should have velocity v0 and be falling at angle θ. To find t' I use the formula y=y0 + v0 sinθ t' - ½ g t'²."

The projectile is FALLING, not RISING!!
    Hence, surely, you must use:
    y=y0-v0sin(theta)t'-1/2gt'^2

(I haven't checked the rest yet)

Note:
    The formula you use is valid from the initial point, i.e, when the projectile is shot upwards.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  4. Jul 22, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

I can't believe I made such a basic mistake. With that sign change, I'm able to manipulate the terms and obtain the final answer. Much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?