Finding Integer Sided Isosceles Triangles with Perimeter 2008

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
In summary, by using the given perimeter of 2008 and assuming the obtuse angle as 90+2a, it is determined that no integer sided isosceles obtuse angle triangles exist. The steps taken to reach this conclusion include setting up the equation 2(L+X)=2008, using the sine rule, and considering the range of values for the angle alpha. Another approach is to use the Pythagorean Theorem for right triangles and the fact that for obtuse triangles, a^2 + b^2 < c^2. This leads to the conclusion that there are no solutions for the given parameters.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Find the number of of all integer sided isosceles obtuse angle triangles with perimeter 2008.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed the obtuse angle as 90+2a
Let the length of the equal sides be L an that of the base = 2X
2(L+x)=1004

Draw the perpendicular to the side opposite to the obtuse angle from the opposite vertex.
It will divide the triangle into congruent parts. Using sine rule in one of the to triangles formed.
I get
sin (45+a)/X=1/L
sin (45+a)/X=1/(1004-X)

X=1004/ (cosec (45+a)+1)
0<a<45

2<cosec (45+a)+1<2.4142

as 2X is an integer

cosec (45+a)+1 should be an integer and a factor of 1004 which is not possible. Therefore, no such triangle is possible!

Physics news on Phys.org
ritwik06 said:

Homework Statement

Find the number of of all integer sided isosceles obtuse angle triangles with perimeter 2008.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed the obtuse angle as 90+2a
Let the length of the equal sides be L an that of the base = 2X
2(L+x)=1004
You're given that the perimeter is 2008, not 1004, so the equation should be
2L + 2X = 2008, or 2(L + X) = 2008, from which you get L + X = 1004
ritwik06 said:
Draw the perpendicular to the side opposite to the obtuse angle from the opposite vertex.
It will divide the triangle into congruent parts. Using sine rule in one of the to triangles formed.
I get
sin (45+a)/X=1/L

It's much simpler as sin(45 + a) = X/L
Replacing L by 1004 - X, this becomes
sin(45 + a) = X/(1004 - X)
ritwik06 said:
sin (45+a)/X=1/(1004-X)

X=1004/ (cosec (45+a)+1)
0<a<45

2<cosec (45+a)+1<2.4142
I don't follow your logic here. It looks like it comes from 1 < csc(45 + a) < sqrt(2), but you'll have to explain why that is true. (It might be, but I don't see it.)

Also, you can't replace 1 + sqrt(2) with 2.4142; they are only approximately equal.
ritwik06 said:
as 2X is an integer

cosec (45+a)+1 should be an integer and a factor of 1004 which is not possible. Therefore, no such triangle is possible!

The obtuse angle alpha must indeed be the angle between the equal sides L. Let the side opposite to alpha ideed be 2x. Use of the cosine rule gives
4*x^2=L^2+L^2 -2L^2*cos(alpha).
So cos(alpha)=1-2*x^2/L^2. Because the angle is obtuse cos(alpha)<0 so to solve is:
1-2*x^2/L^2<0, multiply by L^2, since L^2 >0 this gives L^2-2*x^2<0, or L^2<2*x^2,
L<xSqrt(2)=(1004-L)sqrt(2), L(1+sqrt(2))<1004, L<1004/(1+sqrt(2).
The number of solutions are: int(1004/(1+sqrt(2).
greetings

Made an error L has to be greater than x!

Just so you know, there is another way that I might prefer to get to the point where L^2<2*x^2. If you remember our Pythagorean Theorem for right triangles:
[tex]a^{2} + b^{2} = c^{2}[/tex]
You might also know that for obtuse triangles:
[tex]a^{2} + b^{2} < c^{2}[/tex]
Because you chose L for the legs, a and b, and 2x for the largest side, the one opposite alpha or c.
[tex]L^{2} + L^{2} < (2x)^{2}[/tex]
or
[tex]2L^{2} < 4x^{2}[/tex]
therefore
[tex]L^{2} < 2x^{2}[/tex]
I like this way, and showing it two ways means it's probably right.

Chaos2009 said:
therefore
[tex]L^{2} < 2x^{2}[/tex]
I like this way, and showing it two ways means it's probably right.

Ok so x<L<sqrt(2)*x, and how many solutions are there?

1. How do I know if my solution to a problem is correct?

The best way to check if your solution is correct is to go through the problem step by step and make sure that each step is logical and mathematically sound. You can also ask someone else to review your solution and provide feedback.

2. What if my solution to a problem is different from the answer provided?

If your solution is different from the answer provided, it does not necessarily mean that your solution is incorrect. There may be multiple ways to solve a problem, so it's important to check if your solution is mathematically sound and logical.

3. Should I always check my solution to a problem?

Yes, it is important to always check your solution to a problem. This helps to ensure that you have not made any mistakes and that your solution is accurate.

4. Can I use a calculator to check my solution to a problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your solution to a problem. However, it's important to understand the concepts and methods used to solve the problem rather than relying solely on a calculator.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it's important to practice regularly and to approach problems with a logical and organized mindset. You can also seek help from a tutor or mentor who can guide you through various problem-solving techniques.