Just checking answer for effusion

• Thread starter nithin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Effusion
In summary, a chemistry question was posed about the ratio of oxygen to hydrogen in a balloon after 45% of the hydrogen had escaped overnight. The original ratio was equal molar amounts. One person got an answer of 6:5, while another got 11:17.75, and a third got 8:5. The professor asked for the steps used to arrive at these answers and pointed out that they were not close to each other. The professor also questioned the physical plausibility of the answers.
nithin
hi guys ,

i did this chemistry question and me and my friends got very different answers.. so i want to know wats the right answer...

a professor fills a balloon with equal molar amounts of hydrogen and oxygen . the demo for that day gets postponed to the next day and over the night 45% of the hydrogen escapes. what is the ratio of oxygen to hydrogen now? i got 6:5 as my ans ...

Physics news on Phys.org
nithin, we can't help you unless you first tell us how you tried to solve the problem (not just the final number).

i got a ratio of 11:17.75..lol

Perhaps I wasn't clear before. Show us clearly, the steps you used in arriving at the answer. Only then can we find tell you where you've made a mistake.

6:5 is not the same as 11:17.75, and neither of those is close to the number I get. Besides, your answers are equivalent to having the rate of effusion of oxygen be very similar or much greater than the rate of effusion of hydrogen. Does either of that sound physically plausible to you?

sry...i got 8:5

What is effusion?

Effusion is the process by which a gas escapes through a small hole or opening into a vacuum, or into a region of lower pressure.

What causes effusion?

Effusion occurs due to the difference in pressure between two regions, with the gas moving from the higher pressure region to the lower pressure region.

How is effusion measured?

Effusion is typically measured by the rate at which gas molecules escape through a small opening, which is known as the effusion rate.

What is the difference between effusion and diffusion?

Effusion and diffusion are both processes that involve the movement of gas molecules, but effusion specifically refers to gas molecules escaping through a small opening, while diffusion is the overall movement of gas molecules throughout a space.

What are some real-world applications of effusion?

Effusion has several practical applications, such as in gas separation processes, gas flow measurement, and in the production of vacuum-sealed products.