1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just checking answer for effusion

1. Jul 20, 2006 #1
    hi guys ,

i did this chemistry question and me and my friends got very different answers.. so i want to know wats the right answer...

a professor fills a balloon with equal molar amounts of hydrogen and oxygen . the demo for that day gets postponed to the next day and over the night 45% of the hydrogen escapes. what is the ratio of oxygen to hydrogen now? i got 6:5 as my ans ...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

nithin, we can't help you unless you first tell us how you tried to solve the problem (not just the final number).

4. Jul 21, 2006 #3
    i got a ratio of 11:17.75..lol

5. Jul 21, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps I wasn't clear before. Show us clearly, the steps you used in arriving at the answer. Only then can we find tell you where you've made a mistake.

6:5 is not the same as 11:17.75, and neither of those is close to the number I get. Besides, your answers are equivalent to having the rate of effusion of oxygen be very similar or much greater than the rate of effusion of hydrogen. Does either of that sound physically plausible to you?

6. Jul 22, 2006 #5
    sry........i got 8:5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?