PF Blackout: Was it Related to North America?

• Thread starter Guybrush Threepwood
  • Start date
In summary, there was a blackout in North America that lasted from 09:00 to 12:30 EET, but it was not related to the one experienced on the East Coast. It was caused by router upgrades. The person asking about the blackout was unaware of it due to partying and sleeping, but it affected the entire East Coast.
Guybrush Threepwood
just curious...

I couldn't access PF for almost 3h (09:00 - 12:30 EET) today. Was this related to the blackout in North America?

Physics news on Phys.org
speaking of this blackout, what happened, admittedly I've been doing a lot more sleeping than watching the news, but i didn't hear about it

Just exactly how long were you asleep? I ask because it affected the entire east coast- including New England and NH.

well to be honest the last few days I've been partying so... between hangovers getting drunk and just general sleeping i guess i missed a lot. we had power at all the houses I've been at. what happened??

1. What is PF Blackout and what caused it?

PF Blackout refers to a widespread power outage that occurred on August 14, 2003, affecting most of the northeastern and midwestern regions of the United States and parts of Canada. The blackout was caused by a combination of factors, including human error, equipment failures, and inadequate system monitoring and communication.

2. Was the PF Blackout related to North America specifically, or was it a global event?

The PF Blackout primarily affected the northeastern and midwestern regions of the United States and parts of Canada, making it a regional event. However, it did have some impact on neighboring areas such as Ontario, Quebec, and the northeastern states of the US. Therefore, it can be considered a North American event.

3. How long did the PF Blackout last and what were its effects?

The PF Blackout lasted approximately 24 hours, with some areas experiencing shorter outages while others experienced longer ones. The effects of the blackout were widespread and significant, including disruptions in transportation, communication, and business operations, as well as potential safety hazards and economic losses.

4. Has a similar blackout occurred since PF Blackout in North America?

There have been several smaller-scale blackouts in North America since PF Blackout, but none have been as widespread and severe. The most notable was the Northeast blackout of 2003, which affected parts of eight US states and Ontario, Canada.

5. What measures have been taken to prevent another PF Blackout from happening in North America?

Since PF Blackout, significant efforts have been made to improve the reliability and resilience of the power grid in North America. This includes implementing new regulations, investing in new technologies and infrastructure, and improving communication and coordination among different power companies. However, the risk of a similar blackout cannot be completely eliminated, and constant monitoring and maintenance of the power grid is necessary.