What is the Earth's orbital speed around the sun?

• Thread starter rhenretta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving the speed of the Earth's orbit around the sun. The participants discussed different methods of calculations and expressed satisfaction in finding the correct answer. Some even shared their own calculations and methods, while others joked about the lack of information provided in the problem.
rhenretta
I was watching a documentary a couple nights ago, and it caused me to start doing random calculations. Granted the information is easily accessible online, but what is the fun in that.

Here is the problem

Given light takes 8 minutes to reach the Earth from the sun, at what speed is the Earth orbiting the sun.

show your work

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You mean pi times the diameter to get the circumference of a circle or pi times 16 light minutes would be the distance roughly traveled by the Earth in a year.
This comes out to about one third of a light second per hour, or:
100,000 km/hr.

far too quick, now I need to come up with another problem (admittedly, I was tempted to put it in general math)

2EZ
I'll give someone else a try. (I was only off by 7,218 km/hr.):smile:

Technically, your answer assumes a perfectly circular orbit, but given the lack of additional information I can't fault you there

Yes. its pretty satisfying that with total approximations I get an answer that's 93% right.

I thought the same thing, being an imperialist scum, I did my calculations to mph, and came up with over 64,000 mph. It wasn't until yesterday I actually verified my answer (67,000 mph). There is something very satisfying about math

And because it is such an appropriate reward for the correct answer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much. I had never seen that before. Makes me wonder what might be in my fridge.
...and now for something completely different.

Oh, now I feel bad for you ;-), how about this one

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid not.
Now I feel bad for me.:smile:

1. How do I calculate something just for fun?

To calculate something just for fun, you can choose any equation or problem that interests you and try to solve it using basic math operations.

2. What are some fun calculations I can do?

There are endless possibilities for fun calculations! Some popular options include calculating your age in days, converting your birthday into binary code, or figuring out the number of seconds in a certain amount of time.

3. Is it important to use precise calculations when doing something just for fun?

No, the purpose of calculating something just for fun is to have a good time and exercise your brain. As long as you understand the concept and enjoy the process, the exact answer is not as important.

4. Can I use a calculator for "Just for fun" calculations?

Absolutely! Calculators can be a helpful tool for more complex calculations or for checking your work. However, for simpler calculations, it can be fun to challenge yourself to do them mentally.

5. How can I make "Just for fun" calculations more challenging?

One way to make "Just for fun" calculations more challenging is to try using different methods or formulas to solve the same problem. You can also increase the difficulty by choosing more complex equations or problems to solve.