Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just for fun

1. Sep 17, 2004 #1
    Here's a little game I wrote that uses a few basic physical principles.

Test your intuition of momentum, (linear & angular), acceleration and force.

http://www.martinelli.org/flash/OutPost.html

Have fun!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2004 #2
    that game is hard man

4. Sep 18, 2004 #3
    lol moon landing

5. Sep 18, 2004 #4
    This ain't fair...I thought computers did the whole landing job for us.

My High Score: 0. :grumpy:

6. Sep 18, 2004 #5
    anyone got a score over 0?

7. Sep 18, 2004 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm on the bottom of the score board. I have not yet managed to land at the 2 outpost. I've been close several times but no luck so far.

8. Sep 19, 2004 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HEY! How come Lurch's 260 knocked my 270 off the High scores!

Edit:
    Well I finally landed at outpost 2 and have found outpost 4, Looks like Outpost 3 is at the bottom of a virtical shaft!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  9. Sep 19, 2004 #8
    Well, it looks like I've got a couple of bugs left to fix. I kind of ignored the fact that multiple people could be updating the Hi-score file. (oops). I used Perl to do the server side stuff & didn't use sessions. I'll fix this it sometime this week.

Yeah, its hard. But maybe its too hard. I have the top score, but still not the max. To get the maximum possible score you land at every outpost & do a full loop & end up back at outpost #1 -- I haven't been able to do it yet. The last leg of the trip is a killer. It zig-zags up a long cave and there are no refueling stops along the way.

Should I make it easier? What would make it easier? More powerful thrusters? Fatter caves? Hardware that's not so delicate on landings? Configuration settings? (e.g., noob, cadet, pilot, astronaut )

10. Sep 19, 2004 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like currently the last spot on the high score table is simply the last person to score. I have bumped off my own ~500 score with a ~250 several times. The tunnels are murder but do-able, perhaps widen the margin of error on the fatal landing. Nor sure that I want you to do anything major. Its a fun little game, and seems to behave in a nice physical manner.

So far I have landed at 1,2 and 4. Still looking for 3, there are several choices which I am exploring. So easy to die! (That's not necessarily bad!) I am getting better and better control all the time. I do not think more powerful thrusters would help and may make it even more difficult to maneuver in tight places.

11. Sep 22, 2004 #10

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you need to redo your controls.

Up should be both thrusters. Left and right should be inverted so left does right and right does left. It's intiutive for the left arrow to mean "turn left" and it's currently the other way around. I've crashed a bunch of times because I sent myself spinning wildly instead of countering the spin.

Also, take it a bit easier on the landings. I've exploded on feather landings.

The collision code is way off, too. The sides of the ship pass through terrain easily (without this 'feature' you'd die at the start)

Why is the terrain shaking randomly?

12. Sep 22, 2004 #11

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I managed to land once. It seems to help to tumble in the "wrong" direction, i.e. so that your jets point away from the outpost. Then you kill your spin and loose a little horizontal velocity, and then you just have to be good and lucky.

13. Sep 22, 2004 #12
    I can't see far enough in front. The ship is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way towards the direction you're going, why not in the middle in the middle of the screen? Why can't we see where we're going?

Outpost 3 is easier than 2 IMO. Didn't get 2 yet.

14. Sep 22, 2004 #13

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can hit outpost 1 about 20 times faster than outpost 2. I always explode on outpost 2.

15. Sep 23, 2004 #14
    This game is fun, and addicting. I can land outpost 1 everytime now... outpost 2 nearly every time.. outpost 3 is too simple. outpost 4 I have yet to land, but I've only been to it once. You have more control over the craft if it's going really slow (inertia is mean). While going thru the caves, watch out for the lunar quakes.. They're wicked.

16. Sep 23, 2004 #15

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you go backwards at the start (land at 1 then go back) there's a tunnel going down. I made it to the bottom of it but I ran out of gas...

17. Sep 24, 2004 #16

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am kinda puzzeled by your "high score" table. How is it that EL is on the table 3 times, but my score gets replaced by my most recent. I had a 1098 on the table, it was replaced by a 1024, now I am down to 9xx. I do not understand its inconsistent operation. And WHY DID IT REMOVE my high score?

18. Sep 24, 2004 #17

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why is it that if I fire the bottom thruster, which should rotate the ship so that the bottom thruster pushes UP, I hit into the cliff at the beginning. But if I fire the top one the opposite happens (I clear it, even though I've pushed down)? :grumpy:

19. Sep 24, 2004 #18

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "bottom" and "top" thruster? They both are on the bottom and both act in the same direction. Just opposite sides of the craft.

20. Sep 24, 2004 #19

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the ship is facing right, I meant.

I did say it was at the start. I suppose, the bottom one is the right thruster.

21. Sep 24, 2004 #20
    lol how do i land? slowly? horizontally?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?