Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just for fun

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    Ok just for fun,could someone please give a general linear transformation of p vectors in R(n) to R(m),by expressing the transformation as a Matrix vector product of lets say n vectors in R(m).p vectors in R(n).I've already done it for fun but I'd like to see how you guys go about it..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When you say "a general linear transformation of p vectors", what do you mean by "p vectors"?

4. Jun 24, 2012 #3
    as in "p" no. of vectors in R(n)

5. Jun 24, 2012 #4

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Your problem is not worded properly. So we have [itex]v_1, \ldots, v_p \in \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] and you want a matrix that does what?

I really don't understand the point of the p. Do you want a matrix with [itex]v_i[/itex] as column vectors, and apply a GLT to the resulting matrix?

6. Jun 25, 2012 #5
    yea,the 1st part is right.. v1,v2...vp vectors in N-space-a GLT of these vectors expressed as a product with N vectors (represented in a matrix ofc) in M-space!

7. Jun 25, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't consider trying to guess what you mean to be "fun".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook