Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just get to the point

1. yes banish them now o lord

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. no keep them i find them interesting and i'm a loser

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. Jun 13, 2003 #1
    my last thread was stopped cus it was offensive, sorry. so heres a different one. who hates long replies in threads? short and sweet is better i think, especially in the funnier threads. if a question requires a long reply fair enuf, and if ure just tryin to be annoying then goal achieved, but please, for gods sake just get to the point.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2003 #2
    Well, sometimes they are necessary, though I think some people tend to stretch a point far too long, and thus make exhaustively long posts. Of course, I can't actually vote in your poll ('cause I ain't no loser ), but I can say that you are expressing the view of many of the members here.

4. Jun 13, 2003 #3
    'Kiss' it (off?)

A waste of server space. (Sometimes)

Would have liked an alternate choice in the poll though, don't mind 'em, but don't read 'em, read 'em, but well, I could go on forever, soooo.....save server space, truncate yourself!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2003
  5. Jun 13, 2003 #4
    death to those who wish to express their ideas freely and with no concern for others eyes

6. Jun 13, 2003 #5

FZ+

No.

(Anyone who hates long posts, stop reading now!)

First, I object to the use of O Lord in the first option. So I don't want to vote that since simply it implies a "lord" exists.

Secondly, I believe I hold the criteria neccessary for "loser" by replying, so the second match me best. :smile:

Third, I like playing devil's advocate, so maybe this will be fun.

Fourth, I am sure that one long but complete post takes up less server room that lots of small posts each filling in after the other.

Fifth, there are a large number of subjects on which you must write alot, for real clarity. Try describing QM in a line.

Sixth, writing long documents improves your writing skills, and shows respect for whoever you respond to. If you write a dazzling item and someone just says "No", then you feel pretty irritated.

Seventh, it's usually not a problem with length but with overall presentation. You can usually stomach long posts if they are well organised enough. But few make it through a long post with poor spelling, punctuation, grammar and paragraphing.

Eight, this is a long post, so it would be rather hypocritical for me to pick the first option.

Ninth, the fact you read this line shows that you can in fact bear long posts. :smile:

7. Jun 13, 2003 #6
    ^Too long. Condense it.

8. Jun 13, 2003 #7

drag

Science Advisor

I always thought it was the quality of the post and
    not its lenght that really matters. There are sometimes
    sequences of full 10,000 character posts on PF that I
    read fully and there are sometimes posts with two sentances
    that I don't bother reading after the first couple of
    words. In short :wink:, I think this is a strange thread.

Peace and long life.

9. Jun 14, 2003 #8
    I agree with FZ+ on this but you must admit that some posts are far too long and dont get to the point, i think that some people just ramble on about whatever the subject is just to try and sound smart, when a shorter more accurate reply is much easier to understand.

10. Jun 14, 2003 #9
    Me, doing this, is a waste of server space.

And I agree with what Drag, Mulder, and Andy state, above this. (Save space, free the stars??) (Itinerant/errant Humor)

11. Jun 14, 2003 #10
    I don't think that FZ's post was long. A long one is one that takes up several screens. What makes it even worse is when you have paragraphs that each take up one screen.

12. Jun 14, 2003 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely. Presentation is everything.

It's the posts with poor grammar that I find the hardest and most frusterating to read... and I often won't read more than a few lines of it.

The overall structure of a post is important too, but I find the people who can write long posts with correct grammar tend to also structure their posts decently.

13. Jun 14, 2003 #12
    Neither did I, but quoting it in it's complete form, when I make absolutely no reference to anything in it, is a waste of server space.

14. Jun 14, 2003 #13
    This is a public forum where people want to make their true opinions known. Ideas are often complex and require many words for expression. If the reading here isn't already light enough for you, perhaps you should shop for your literature in the cereal aisle.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2003
  15. Jun 15, 2003 #14
    Typical American resorting to insults.

16. Jun 15, 2003 #15
    This is a public forum where people want to make their true opinions known. Ideas are often complex and require many words for expression. If the reading here isn't already light enough for you, perhaps you should shop for your literature in the cereal aisle.

eNtRopY
    [/QUOTE]

17. Jun 15, 2003 #16
    Kellogg's Corn Flakes

Sensible Eating for a healthy lifestyle

Nowadays, we are all trying to make healthier food choices. While you'll know that all kellogg's cereals are nutritious-and tasty of course-they all have something different to offer and it's sometimes difficult to decide which cereals have the benefits you want.

That's why Kellogg's have designed a brand new set of symbols on the front of each packet, with an explanation of the benefits on the side, allowing you to make the right Kellogg's choice for your health.

Heart Health

Diets low in saturated fat can reduce blood cholesterol, which may help to keep your heart healthy. Kellogg's Corn Flakes is low iin saturated fat.

Concentration

Your brain needs energy to help you concentrate. Cereals high in Carbohydrates that contain B vitamins and iron can help keep your concentration at its best.

Physical Energy

Your Body needs energy to help you perform at your best. Kellogg's Corn Flakes is high in carbohydrates and a good source of B Vitamins and iron - a great combination for your body's energy needs.

Low Fat

Low fat foods are ideal for maintaining a healthy weight. Kellogg's Corn Flakes contains no more than 3% fat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That is what i found looking at the side of my Cereal box and I have to thank Entropy for giving me the idea.

Oh and this is what is meant as a pointless and long post by the way.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2003
  18. Jun 15, 2003 #17
    Having reconsidered entropy's advive (andy reading andy's post) i visited my local cereal aisle and found this rather stunning prose gracing the side of a humble cereal packet. this is just an excerpt should you wish to read more visit your local TESCO (difficult if your not in britain but ,i'm sure you'll agree after reading this, worth it)

"Honey nut corn flakes

GOLDEN TOASTED FLAKES OF CORN WITH BROWN SUGAR, NUTS AND HONEY

A typical 30g serving of Tesco honey nut cornflakes 750g typically contains at least 30% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin d thaimin (b1), riboflavin (b2), Niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin b12, Pantothenic acid and iron."

ahh, its like sweet toasted flakes of heaven to my ear.

19. Jun 15, 2003 #18
    Well commander sponge and his sidekick andy,
    it seems you have won this round... but the game has just begun....

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2003
  20. Jun 15, 2003 #19
    Why am I his sidekick! just look at the member numbers boy and you will see that i am much higher than the both of you so surely he must be my sidekick!

let battle commence!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2003
  21. Jun 15, 2003 #20
    if u give up that easily then this wont be a very good game. ps the americans have never won a major war without the english btw, so u better enlist some. (the civil war dont count cus technically that was english fighting english)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?