Reverse Integral and Evaluation: A Trick Question?

• Thread starter NINHARDCOREFAN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation revolved around a calculus problem involving reversing and evaluating an integral. The participants discussed the correct solution and the possibility of losing points for a minor mistake. One person also mentioned the importance of visualizing the problem and another expressed their love for the band NIN.
NINHARDCOREFAN
One question on it was reverse the following integral and then evaluate it:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{x^2}^{\pi^2} x^3y dydx[/tex]

So I got the following reversed integral:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi^2}\int_{-\sqrt{y}}^{\sqrt{y}} x^3y dxdy[/tex]

When you first evaluate in respect to x you get 0, am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
minor mistake really... the second integral should be
[tex]\int_0^{\pi^2}\int_0^{\sqrt{y}} x^3 y \partial x \partial y [/tex]
I really doubt you would lose a lot of marks

unless I've made a mistake which is possible

Yeah, as always, drawing out your region really helps. This is an interesting part of calculus where you can actually visualize things... unlike many other math courses.

Damn it, I put -sqrt(y) because in the book, the same problem (with x^2 in the lower bound of the first integral) like it put -sqrt(y) in the lower bound for it's solution. I would get lot of points taken off... it's a 15 point problem, the professors are harsh, i would get taken off -10 or something like that

The book problem...

The book problem was:
[tex]\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{x^2}^{4} x^2y dydx[/tex]

Their answer was:
[tex]\int_{0}^{4}\int_{-\sqrt{y}}^{\sqrt{y}} x^2y dydx[/tex]

Why was there a -sqrt(y) in this problem?

The reason for that comes from the fact that part of your domain for the region extends into the dreaded negative x.

and might i ask, did you mean to interchange the differential elements in the second integrand?

And also, NIN rocks!

Last edited:
Yes, I meant to do that. Damn it! I should have changed there right then because the problem would have never come out to zero. Oh well. Thanks.

What is the purpose of taking a test?

Tests are used to assess a person's knowledge, understanding, and skills on a particular subject or topic. They are often used in educational settings to measure a student's progress and determine their level of mastery in a subject area.

How do I know if I did well on a test?

The results of a test are typically given in the form of a numerical or letter grade. This grade is based on the number of correct answers and can indicate how well you did on the test. You can also compare your grade to the average or class average to get a better understanding of your performance.

What should I do after taking a test?

After completing a test, it is important to review your answers and check for any mistakes. This can help you identify areas where you may need to improve and can also give you a better understanding of the material. It is also a good idea to discuss the test with your teacher or classmates to get feedback and clarify any questions you may have.

Why do some people perform better on tests than others?

There are many factors that can contribute to a person's performance on a test. Some people may have better study habits or test-taking strategies, while others may have a stronger understanding of the subject or more experience with similar tests. External factors such as stress, anxiety, and distractions can also affect test performance.

Should I be worried if I did not do well on a test?

It is natural to feel disappointed or worried if you did not do as well as you had hoped on a test. However, it is important to remember that one test does not define your abilities or intelligence. Use the experience as a learning opportunity and try to identify areas where you can improve for future tests.