How old is the name Ra? A connection to ancient speech?

• Thread starter thankz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the ancient name Ra and its age compared to the first speech. The possibility of words like Ma and Pa being among the first words spoken by humans is also mentioned, along with the question of whether any paleolinguists are present. The conversation then shifts to a dream about pharaoh reincarnation and watching a TV show, leading to a humorous cheer for the sun god Ra.
thankz
I was wondering just how ancient the name Ra was? Is it considered as old as the first speech? when humans first leained to talk, words like Ma and Pa? any paleolinguists out there? I was having some sore of weird dream about pharaoh reincarnation then crossed them with my memory's of watching little house on the prairie. :biggrin:

maybe I can go back to sleep now ?:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Three cheers for the sun god
Ra! Ra! Ra!
He's the really fun god
Ra! Ra! Ra!

(sorry - couldn't resist)

Likes epenguin, jtbell and jedishrfu

1. How was the name Ra originated?

The name Ra originated in ancient Egyptian mythology, where Ra was believed to be the god of the sun and creation.

2. How long has the name Ra been used?

The name Ra has been used for thousands of years, dating back to the ancient Egyptian civilization which flourished around 3150 BC.

3. Is Ra the oldest name in history?

No, Ra is not the oldest name in history. There are many other names that have been used since the beginning of human civilization, such as Enki, Inanna, and Marduk in Mesopotamian mythology.

4. How has the meaning of the name Ra changed over time?

The meaning of the name Ra has remained relatively consistent over time, as it has always been associated with the sun and creation. However, in different cultures and time periods, Ra has been depicted and worshipped in different ways.

5. Is the name Ra still used today?

Yes, the name Ra is still used today in various forms and variations. It is a popular name in Egypt and many other countries, and it is also used in literature, movies, and other forms of media to refer to the ancient god of the sun.