Are Introductions Common on This Forum?

In summary, a new member has joined the forum and is unsure if introductions are customary. They have a background in physics but have spent their career as a pilot in the Navy. They are interested in various scientific topics and plan to lurk before actively participating. The forum does not typically have introductions, but when they do occur, a common question is asked about favorite fish. The new member's favorite fish is tuna and they jokingly ask to be slapped with soy sauce and wasabi. Other members welcome the new member and joke about initiation.
Planeguy67
Hi All,

I'm not sure if introductions are the norm on this forum (I didn't see any), but they are customary on some other forums that I frequent.

I graduated with a BS in Physics about 2 decades ago. I've spent ZERO days working as a physicist or researcher. Shortly after graduation, I entered the Navy and became a pilot, something I've been for over 20 years now.

However, I still miss that science geek that I have somehow repressed over the years and yearn to reestablish contact with the community. My interests (and wonders) generally surround cosmology, relativity, quantum mechanics, optics, and electronics.

I plan to lurk for a good long while before I post anything of substance, but I do look forward to many discussions and maybe even a legitimate contribution or two in the future.

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum. Intro don't seem to happen here ... only forum I've been on where that's the case, but this is also by far the most populous forum I've been on, so probably the point is that intros would just take up pointless bandwidth. The forum is not really a social forum but it tends that way sometimes in the more casual topic areas.

Most threads are pretty business-like and in fact sometimes if the thread gets into a more personal level, the mods will admonish folks to stick to science.

Planeguy67 said:
I'm not sure if introductions are the norm on this forum (I didn't see any), but they are customary on some other forums that I frequent.

It's not the norm, but when people do take the time to introduce themselves, we have a standard question for them: what's your favorite fish?

Planeguy67 said:
Hi All,

I graduated with a BS in Physics about 2 decades ago. I've spent ZERO days working as a physicist or researcher. Shortly after graduation, I entered the Navy and became a pilot, something I've been for over 20 years now.

However, I still miss that science geek that I have somehow repressed over the years and yearn to reestablish contact with the community. My interests (and wonders) generally surround cosmology, relativity, quantum mechanics, optics, and electronics.

I plan to lurk for a good long while before I post anything of substance, but I do look forward to many discussions and maybe even a legitimate contribution or two in the future.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome planeguy. I'm a -retired- plane guy too, Royal Netherlands Air Force.

jtbell said:
... when people do take the time to introduce themselves, we have a standard question for them: what's your favorite fish?

To catch, photograph, or eat? ;-)

Whichever you prefer. ;-)

Take my word for it, Planeguy... say "minnow" or "guppy". The reason will become apparent.
Welcome aboard.

Well, since I haven't gone fishing or scuba diving (photographing fish) in a long time, I'll go with my favorite fish dish:

Tuna, served raw as in sushi (maguro) and sashimi or seared lightly. Dang... is it time for lunch yet? ;-)

Oh dear, he chose tuna...

oh no, wow, who feels capable to do the thing that needs to be done?

*casually studying fingernails while whistling*

*Intently studying andre's fingernails while he's whistling*

<approaches quickly from the distance, something large in tow>

<slaps PlaneGuy67 with a tuna>

[URL]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/055/f/6/Monty_Python_II__Fish_Slap_II__by_dwightyoakamfan.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, the suspense was killing me. Welcome to the forum.

Good! Now, somebody slap me with some soy sauce and wasabi... quickly. ;-)

*Startled by Planeguy67's scream of pain as the tuna smacks into him, stops stdying andre's fingernails*

Welcome to the forum, you are now properly initiated at PF! :approve:

Planeguy67 said:
Special treatment??

That only comes into consideration at passing 10000 posts here at PF!

Planeguy67 said:

I've got the wasabi, open your eyes as wide as you can...

flexgunship said:
i've got the wasabi, open your eyes as wide as you can...

newbie impertinence alert!

Welcome to the forums Planeguy! Enjoy your stay! x)

Welcome to PF! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of introductions on this forum?

The purpose of introductions on this forum is to allow members to introduce themselves to the community and share a bit about their background and interests.

2. Are introductions mandatory on this forum?

No, introductions are not mandatory on this forum. However, they are highly encouraged as it helps to build a welcoming and inclusive community.

3. How can I make a good introduction on this forum?

To make a good introduction, you can start by sharing your name, where you're from, and what brings you to this forum. You can also mention any relevant interests or experiences that you have. Be friendly and open to connecting with others in the community.

4. Are there any guidelines for introductions on this forum?

Yes, there are some guidelines for introductions on this forum. Please keep your introduction respectful and appropriate, and avoid sharing personal information such as your address or phone number. Additionally, avoid promoting any products or services in your introduction.

5. Can I introduce myself multiple times on this forum?

While you are welcome to participate in multiple introductions, we recommend sticking to just one introduction post to avoid clutter on the forum. If you have any major updates or changes to share, you can always edit your original introduction post.