Need help with Periodic Motion, Frequency, and Wavelength?

• Thread starter ErikIoerger94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, Erik Ioerger has recently joined the forums as a high school student seeking help with various topics. He expresses his gratitude towards the administrator for setting up the forum and thanks the teachers and knowledgeable students for contributing. Other members welcome him and share their positive experiences with the forum.
ErikIoerger94
Hi everyone my name is Erik Ioerger and i just joined your forums. I really appreciate this being on here for i am a high school student and sometimes need help with various topics. Currently my class is covering Periodic Motion, Frequency, and Wavelength questions. Just wanted to thank whoever is the administrator for setting up this forum, and also the various either teachers or very knowledgeable students for contributing and allowing me to access this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Erik, welcome to PF :smile:!

Why thank you.

Welcome to PF ErikIoerger94.

This is a great place to learn AND have good friends.

Hi Erik and welcome to PF! I hope you'll enjoy the ride :cool:

I also started on this forum as an interested high school student with questions. I love this forum! I hope PF grows on you as it did on me!

Enjoy your stay! :smile:

Welcome to PF. It's a great place to learn science.

Welcome to Physics Forums! I started as you did (a high-school student seeking help with things), and now I'm a college student seeking help with things. I hope you enjoy the forum!

1. What is periodic motion?

Periodic motion is a type of motion where an object repeats the same pattern of movement over a certain period of time. This could include back and forth motion, circular motion, or any other type of repeated movement.

2. What is frequency?

Frequency is the number of cycles or repetitions of a periodic motion that occur in one second. It is measured in units of hertz (Hz) and is directly related to the speed of the motion.

3. How is frequency related to wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely related. This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases, and vice versa. The mathematical equation for this relationship is: frequency = speed/wavelength.

4. How can I calculate the frequency of a periodic motion?

To calculate the frequency of a periodic motion, you need to know the speed of the motion and the wavelength. Using the equation frequency = speed/wavelength, simply plug in the values and solve for frequency.

5. What are some real-life examples of periodic motion?

Some common examples of periodic motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the rotation of the Earth around the sun, the vibration of a guitar string, and the bouncing of a ball. These motions all follow a repeated pattern and have a specific frequency and wavelength.